overflowing 3800 s/c by AL87
Started on: 05-02-2014 02:29 PM
Replies: 10 (195 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 05-04-2014 01:50 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a buddy of mine has a s/c 3800 swap. he just used a drop in motor from a Pontiac GP GTP

he's not getting any overheating signals, all the coolant is coming out of the overflow.

he just did a coolant system flush, seal, and fill
tried a new 180* thermostat, and new radiator cap... the problem is still happening.

suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
leaky head gasket?
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

leaky head gasket?

hope not...

I had a smililar issue once... but it wasn't a head gasket,
he used dex-cool. and I'm not sure if that's what he should've used.
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the radiator cap a vented one or non-vented?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the coolant come out of the overflow? Does it act like it is boiling over? Does it come put once the engine is hot? Does it just come put a little but all the time?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
caps fail alot.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

How does the coolant come out of the overflow? Does it act like it is boiling over? Does it come put once the engine is hot? Does it just come put a little but all the time?

the coolant comes out after it warms up, runs completely fine after a proper fill. and it will drive maybe for 15 more minutes, it even idled for 30 minutes with nothing happening. and then somehow like out of nowhere it'll finally start to just come out at a steady. I feel its a cap, but we just got one.

I keep hearing this vented/non-vented talk about caps, the only ones I'm aware of are the ones you twist on, and it has an internal spring 16psi, the only difference is one has a lever, and one is standard... he's using the stant oe cap for the fiero.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check Ogre's cave (link at top of page) for the proper stant number
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like you have an air pocket or pockets. I had the same problem with mine. Had to jack the front of the car up and then fill the radiator till it is full and then put the car back down. finish filling it up and then let it run with the radiator cap on, turned to the first notch, and let it warm up till the thermostat opens . I then carefully opened up the cap and finished filling the radiator. put the cap on all the way and filled up the reservoir . Have not had a problem since
fierofan25

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofan25Send a Private Message to fierofan25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofan25

994 posts
Member since Apr 2007
forgot to mention that I also drilled a small hole in the thermostat.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can he bolt on a fiero 2.8 thermostat housing? this whole burping coolant thing is becoming a pita...
every time I do it with him, I'm making %100 sure that its being done correctly and its completely full, and then an hour drive or so, he starts to get overflow after driving it across town.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock