Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What size are the front swaybar bolts? . .?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What size are the front swaybar bolts? . .? by Custom2M4
Started on: 05-02-2014 01:06 AM
Replies: 8 (333 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 05-10-2014 09:45 AM
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,

I moved not that long ago and misplaced my swaybar bolts in the move. What' size are those bloody things. It's the four that mount the swaybar to the frame.

I did a search and found an answer M8 x 1.25... Went to the bolt store, purchased these lots and they are too small. Anyone know if the size went larger for 87?

I'm guessing they are M10x1.25 but the store is a 10$ minimum and I don't want to keep making that trip and wasting 10$ on bolts every time.

Thanks

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the 22P, they should be M8 x 1.25 x 25 for '84 - '87's. Perhaps someone modified your car or perhaps you could double-check that the bolts you bought were actually M8's. I can check a parts car later today if no one else has chimed in by then.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the size for 88s? Maybe it's late year 87 or something? My car wants to accept a pretty large bolt, I tried a couple others from my parts bin to see the size and it's a pretty large bolt.

Thanks blooz

Edit. It's definitely not an m8. I sucked it up and got some M10 1.25 and it's the right size but Im not confident enough to torque them in, seems like it might be a 3/8 20 pitch... I'll scour my bolt bins and see if I'm right.... If anyone knows the 88 sizing I'd like to know. The nuts are definitely factory as well.

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 05-02-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

What is the size for 88s? Maybe it's late year 87 or something?

I don't know about the size of the actual bolts, but the front sway bar (and entire suspension) on an '88 is totally different than what was used from '84-'87.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-03-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Edit. It's definitely not an m8. I sucked it up and got some M10 1.25 and it's the right size but Im not confident enough to torque them in, seems like it might be a 3/8 20 pitch... I'll scour my bolt bins and see if I'm right.... If anyone knows the 88 sizing I'd like to know. The nuts are definitely factory as well.

If the bolt threads all the way in, then it's the right size. If the holes were tapped for 3/8"-20 thread, the bolt would bind up after a couple turns.

That said, it's pretty common for the stock sway bar bolts to break. It's also common for people to drill & tap the bolt holes for a larger size. I ended up doing that with mine, because 2 of those bolts broke.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-03-2014).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought all suspension bolts on the fiero are sized metric.

For 88s, that's a fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If the bolt threads all the way in, then it's the right size. If the holes were tapped for 3/8"-20 thread, the bolt would bind up after a couple turns.

That said, it's pretty common for the stock sway bar bolts to break. It's also common for people to drill & tap the bolt holes for a larger size. I ended up doing that with mine, because 2 of those bolts broke.

Yes, they bind after a couple turns, this is why I'm asking the question. I dont want to torque them if they arent metric. The car is also rust free, low km. I would highly doubt they are anything but factory installed bolts and nuts.

I've found several imperial bolts on the fiero, and since the nuts are awkward to get at, I don't want to install the wrong hardware.

Thanks for the help everyone. If I don't get an answer I might see if a tap will give me the size.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did a search and found an answer M8 x 1.25... Went to the bolt store, purchased these lots and they are too small.

I was messing with the front sway bar on my '88 Formula today. The four mounting bolts are M8x1.25

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-09-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original front sway bar bolts on my '87 SE were also 8mm. But as mentioned above, two of them broke when I tried to remove them. So I drilled & tapped the holes to 3/8", and got some SAE Grade 8 bolts.

Chances are the previous owner of Custom2M4's car did something similar.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock