Started on: 04-29-2014 04:11 PM
Replies: 7 (184 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-29-2014 06:55 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT First issue, for the first time the car was driven in heavy rain. I needed to have the wipers on high speed, and I could not tell any negligible difference in the speed from high to low. Whats the issue? Old, fatigued motor, or from lack of use?

Second issue, the sunroof has started to leak on the right side. The car has sat for about 6 months and never had an issue. Here's the odd part, While driving it in medium to heavy rain it was leaking. However, after parking the car, and getting even heavier rain overnight, and today, it is bone dry! It seems to only leak when I'm driving. What's the issue here? I'll search for where the weep holes are located. We just came out of heavy pine tree pollen season, so maybe they are clogged. Other than that, or an issue with the seal, I don't know what else could be an issue. The only leaking while it's driven, is the part that stumps me.

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IDK if they were ever drilled out at the factory. Matter of fact I am pretty sure they weren't. GM for some reason in their infinite wisdom decided not to drill drain holes at the factory on Fiero's. No idea why though.

Drill em out yourself. Put some tape as a guide so you don't drill to deep on your bit. Go just deep enough to get through but not scratch the metal underneath. Each corner under the sunroof weather strip. If I remember correctly there was a You tube vid on the exact subject. I don't remember the title however.

The wiper motor? IDK. You ever getting any phantom wipes?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

You ever getting any phantom wipes?

No phantom wipe...yet. Thanks for the suggestion on the sunroof. I'm looking for Buddy Craiggs video now. I found the weep hole suggestion through search also.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For posterity and future use.

Jim
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your sunroof only leaks driving, Id look to see if the seal is worn out or gotten hard. If so it dont hold tight against the bottom of the glass so water is forced thru by the air pressure. You could try taking off the 2 front mounting tabs and bending them slightly for a tighter fit. Make sure you use some silicone sealer in the bolt holes when you remount them or it will leak around those.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueClick Here to Email Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am getting phantom wipes, especially when I put the blinker on. Today, becaue i,drove in a light rain, I realized that the markings on the selector do not match the selections, and that the intermittent speed is either really short or really long time in between wipes, no real varied intermittent times. I also noticed that there isn't much difference between slow constant wipe and fast constant wipe. As phantom wipes are something known about, any ideas on what to do to fix that ?
How to re-align the selector markings so they actually correspond with the selections? How to make the wipers not go on when using the blinker?
Thanks
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaClick Here to Email jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If your sunroof only leaks driving, Id look to see if the seal is worn out or gotten hard. If so it dont hold tight against the bottom of the glass so water is forced thru by the air pressure. You could try taking off the 2 front mounting tabs and bending them slightly for a tighter fit. Make sure you use some silicone sealer in the bolt holes when you remount them or it will leak around those.

The seals are pliable, and I do not see any gaps, but obviously there is something big enough for water to get through.

Jim

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Except for the long gone images posted by one of the fellas hosted on Photobucket , there's lots of good info and images in This thread regarding where the drain holes are to be drilled.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock