Why Is It ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 04-28-2014 02:09 PM
Replies: 12 (436 views)
Last post by: Formula88 on 05-03-2014 11:57 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is it, that on a Carbureted engine, when you open up the throttles all the way (Q-Jet), you get the sound of "Ba Waaa", and when you open up a throttle body all the way all you get is a Hiss or sucking sound, ( know what I mean )? ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never paid that much attention to be sure, but Id say the throttle body hole into the intake is only a few inches wide at most. A 4bbl carb has a 6-7" hole (or 4 1 1/2" ones). Thats just a guess though.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You get the induction roar from an FI engine as well. It sounds different because the size and shape of the runners and throttle body are different, just as a trumpet sounds different than a trombone.

Since a carb flows air and fuel, it has larger openings than FI that only has to flow air. That tends to create a lower pitch sound. That's oversimplification, because there's a lot of other factors at work. Try a throttle body injected engine - it has more of that carb sound than a port injected engine. It's throttle body has to flow both air and fuel, so it's sized accordingly.

Of course, that only accounts for the "Waaaa" part of the "Baa Waaaa!" The "Baa" part is bog because you don't know how to tune a carb.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 04-28-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so the" Ba" part is for "BOG". LOL
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad used to turn the air cleaner cover over on his Q jet on an old Jetstar he had and his 73 olds cutlass that had the 454 in it, you think it sounds good when you tromp on the throttle before, turn the air cleaner cover upside down,

You could try that on the throttle body, just not sure what it would sound like, hell on the Jetstar he even drilled a few holes in the cover as well if I remember right, or maybe it was the 73, my memory is shot, one of them turning the cover over did nothing as it set almost the same. so he drilled some holes outside the air cleaner so that air still had to go threw the air cleaner, but let a lot more in because it didn't have to go threw the snorkel of the air cleaner.

I think the Jetstar was ether a 396 or a 425 CI engine I can't remember what year it was, mainly because it was like 1969 or so and that was before I was driving, well legally anyway ether way they both had over 300 HP, the 425 was like 375 HP or something like that.

Ayup

345 hp (257 kW) 394 cubic-inch Starfire Rocket V8 engine, in the 64 and'
425 had 370 HP. in the 65, for the life of me I can't remember what year his was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Jetstar_I

I loved those 60s cars, balls and style.

Ayup, it was a 65

http://globalcarbrands.com/...star-i/03/index.html

of course you have to remember with a Q Jet carb you are also opening up a lot more space for the 4 barrels when you open the secondary's up. adding to the sound

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-29-2014).]

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cam timing is also a lot different on the computer controled engines now, biggest difference is the Lobe Seperation Angle, with a carb they were running around 106 degrees and now with computers they are around 114 degrees or so. On a Q jet, when you stomp it to the floor, only the primary opens up, the secondary is opened by vacuum as needed. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-29-2014).]

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

... On a Q jet, when you stomp it to the floor, only the primary opens up, the secondary is opened by vacuum as needed. Larry

You're thinking of Holleys that have vacuum secondaries. The secondaries on the Q-Jet are controlled by an air valve.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Q-jet, ok, the secondary's open mechanically, but the air valve only lets as much Air Through, "as is needed", just like vac secondary's. As far as I'm concerned a Q-jet is Much better than a Holley, less grief. Had both, worked on both. just my opinion.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a TBI on my old 305 88 Firebird Formula.
If you turned the lid over it exposed the entire outside of the the filter.
It had a little bit of the Q-jet sound, but not as loud.

For some reason the carbs with air valve secondaries were always louder than Holleys.
I used to have a Monza with a 350 and a Carter AFB. You could hear that thing for blocks.
Thermoquads were even louder than that. 340 Mopars would wail!

Edit - I hated Holleys.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-30-2014).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He had a 425. The last year for the 394 was 1964.
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

My dad used to turn the air cleaner cover over on his Q jet on an old Jetstar he had and his 73 olds cutlass that had the 454 in it, you think it sounds good when you tromp on the throttle before, turn the air cleaner cover upside down,

Aahhhh, the good ole' days
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in' 85 I had a 1965 cutlass with a 500 cube Caddy in it, that was "Something Else" ! just hitting the gas In PARK would twist the front of the car. and when that Q-jet opened up,(in 1st gear) the was NO traction ! LOL
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock