Car won't start by 123mattsgt87
Started on: 04-28-2014 01:16 PM
Replies: 6 (195 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 04-30-2014 10:31 AM
123mattsgt87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mattsgt87Send a Private Message to 123mattsgt87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn key to on position and I can hear thefuel pump go on. When I turn the key the car will crakn but won;t start. I can smell the gas. I took off the distributior and it was a bit ditry. I lightly sanded the inside of the cap and tthe rotor. ( I plan to replace these today) Put back on and still won't start. I unhooked the coil wire, crankedthe engine and I am getting spark. My next step is to replace the fuel filter,but If i can smell gas then isn't gas getting to the engine? What about the ingitiona control module? Could this be the culprit? Any /all help is greatly appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old way of checking spark can give you false readings. The wider gaps of electronic ignition require more voltage than old ignition. Recommended is using an electronic ignition tester - http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6...Tester/dp/B0050SFVO2 When you use this tester test at the spark plug, not at the wire from the coil to distributor. The spark might make it into the distributor but not out if you have a rotor problem.

Also as a seat of the pants test if the spark appears more yellow than blue you have a lower voltage spark.

So since you do have some spark, that indicates the primary side of your ignition is working. Try squirting some starting fluid into the intake and see if the engine fires at all.

With the 2.8 you can do a crude fuel pressure test. Right after the fuel pump stops running press down on the fuel system's schreader valve. The fuel should squirt out with enough pressure to hit the rear deck lid (and your eyes so wear protective glasses)

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-28-2014).]

123mattsgt87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mattsgt87Send a Private Message to 123mattsgt87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I swapped out the old rotor and distributor for new ones. Problem is I had help and the wires were taken off the distributor before I got home. After several tries I did get the car to start but I can tell it is misfiring. Does anyone have a picture of of their distributor so that I can see what wire goes where?

Thanks
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The firing order remains fixed but the wires on the distributor may start at any location. Start with them in this location but then try moving the start point by one until its right.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-28-2014).]

123mattsgt87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 123mattsgt87Send a Private Message to 123mattsgt87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Sun Drop for all of your help. I got the car started . Moved the wires twice and have it running pretty smoothy. I would like to adjust the timing. I am use to working on 50 and early 60 models where all you had to do was loosen the distributor bolt and move the distributor to advance or retard the timing. This is my son's car, (which I am staring to like more and more) and I am trying to do what I can to teach him hjow to take care of his car and save money where he can. Again, any/all help is appreciated.
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 123mattsgt87:

Thanks Sun Drop for all of your help. I got the car started . Moved the wires twice and have it running pretty smoothy. I would like to adjust the timing. I am use to working on 50 and early 60 models where all you had to do was loosen the distributor bolt and move the distributor to advance or retard the timing. This is my son's car, (which I am staring to like more and more) and I am trying to do what I can to teach him hjow to take care of his car and save money where he can. Again, any/all help is appreciated.

Well if you want to really teach him how to take car of the car and you're starting to like more and more.... you could just take it over and make it yours. That would teach him. haha j/k

That's great you got it started. The forums here are a great resource full of helpful information and amazing members.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock