Key blanks - What type do you have? by Chris_narf
Started on: 04-28-2014 12:14 AM
Replies: 8 (374 views)
Last post by: Lambo nut on 04-28-2014 07:28 PM
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I ordered a couple of ignition key blanks off the Fiero Store:
http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=88014

When I went to get my key copied, I was told it was the wrong blank. Since I had my ignition lock cylinder replaced, it's very possible that it's not using the same key type from the factory, which got me to thinking: what was the original key blank?

Ignition key w/ boot form the Fiero Store = Code A
Old ignition key from when I purchased the car = Code C
Ignition key for the new lock cylinder = Code J
Decklid and door lock keys = Code D

What do others have? I'd be especially interested to hear from the folks who have been owners of their cars since new.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm the original owner of my 88GT, never changed any of the locks and still have the original keys from the dealer( I never use them, just copies )
Took a pic of them

------------------
88 GT
Choptop, Vertical Door Hinges
Lowered Suspension w/ 13" Brake Disk
CarPC - WinXP Pro (GT Sport Edition)
+ a lot more.....

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The blanks for different years are actually different, Charlie from another thread about key blanks.

Originally posted by fierofool:

There is a difference in the keys for the 87-88 as opposed to earlier years. If you will look at the side of the key you will see that the 87-88 has a very thin guide slot up near the straight edge of the key. Pre-87 has a wider slot located further down into the body of the key.

If you have them up thre, Ace Hardware usually has the key blanks for all year Fieros, both door and ignition. It's been a while but I think they're blank numbers 49 and 50.

it is the slots in the sides of the key that are different as well as the key cuts that they cut for each individual lock, so it is possible you just got the wrong years blank.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically, Ace is actually where I had my copies made. I wonder what the key code is on the earlier years.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I'm the original owner of my 88GT, never changed any of the locks and still have the original keys from the dealer( I never use them, just copies )
Took a pic of them

Not that it is going to happen, buuuut you realize now that someone with a little knowledge of keys/locks, and would happen to know you, your car, and where you live, AND for some reason would want to steal your car, can now unlock your car and drive away with it with a set ok keys made from your pictures. I see people blur out their license plates online and kind of wonder why as it is out there for everyone to see when you are driving, but I would never show a picture of my cut keys. Kind of like giving out the combination to your safe.

Kevin
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Not that it is going to happen, buuuut you realize now that someone with a little knowledge of keys/locks, and would happen to know you, your car, and where you live, AND for some reason would want to steal your car, can now unlock your car and drive away with it with a set ok keys made from your pictures. I see people blur out their license plates online and kind of wonder why as it is out there for everyone to see when you are driving, but I would never show a picture of my cut keys. Kind of like giving out the combination to your safe.

Kevin

Already have a set made and am planning a trip to North Carolina as we speak!

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:
Kevin

Originally posted by mrfiero:
Already have a set made and am planning a trip to North Carolina as we speak!

LOL , Yep I was thinking that as I posted, but probably not that easy to make a good working key from a photo.
You all missed the signature block I left at the bottom (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) it will take more than a set of keys to steal this thing right now....

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84-86 Fieros used Keys with A + B codes. I believe both 87 and 88s use C + D coded keys. I have seen replacement locks with H coded keys so it may depend on whether your car has original locks on it.
Hope this helps you out.
Mark
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

LOL , Yep I was thinking that as I posted, but probably not that easy to make a good working key from a photo.
You all missed the signature block I left at the bottom (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) it will take more than a set of keys to steal this thing right now....

All I am getting now for pictures is little black boxes with "x's"

As for the key from a picture, you would be surprised. I took a deadbolt into a locksmith to see if he could make a key for it as we had lost the ones that came with it during a construction project. They were Kwiksets and we had two door knobs and two deadbolts that were keyed alike is why I took it to him. He took a clip off the back, pulled out the cylinder, stuck in a blank key, rattled off some numbers, grabbed another blank and a cutting device and cut one to fit it. I am not sh!tting you when I say this all happened in a matter of about 60 seconds. I walked into, paid for and was out of that place with four new keys in under five minutes. I then realized just how insecure any door lock was.

Kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock