Runs then dies by Skeeterz
Started on: 04-27-2014 09:54 PM
Replies: 7 (181 views)
Last post by: Skeeterz on 04-29-2014 09:02 PM
Skeeterz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkeeterzSend a Private Message to SkeeterzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 Fiero GT. It was running on 4 cylinders so I changed 2 injectors and it ran fine for awhile. Then I was driving it and it just died on me and wouldn't start. I hooked up jumpers and it fired right up and I made it home. Shut it off in my drive way and tried to start it again but wouldn't turn over. Had to jump it again and now I have to jump it every time to start it and it will only stay running for a couple minutes then just die. Doesn't spit or sputter before it dies just shuts off. It also idols really fast. Don't know if that has anything to do with it probably just a vacuum hose. I can't figure it out. Could use some help.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you cleaned the battery terminals and they are tight , if not do so, Make sure you have a good ground at the engine block and the starter cable.. Big red one is clean and tight.

Battery not charging or holding a charge? Have you had the battery load tested. How old is it?

Need to check alternator output.

Any power to the lights before jumping.

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 04-27-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Did your SES light go on? Do you know how to find the codes?
The idle speed may be part of the problem. How good is your EGR tube?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-27-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check and make sure the nuts are tight at the power distribution posts. Note - these bolts are always hot so disconnect the battery before putting a wrench on them.

Located near the battery right under the connector with all the wires on it

Skeeterz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkeeterzSend a Private Message to SkeeterzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input! I cleaned terminals and tightened all the bolts. Started and ran for quite a while. Shut it off and started it again 5 times and fired right up every time. It idled high for about 5 minutes then went down. Don't know what that's all about? The alt. gage ran alittle over 13 when the lights were off. Once I turned the lights on it went down to 12. Is the alternator working right? I also checked the egr valve and tube and they seemed to be fine. I'm not a big machanic so I'm not sure about all this stuff trying to learn as I go.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car operates differently when it is hot. It's called 'closed loop', and the computer is controlling more functions. when the idle drops it should end up around 950 rpm. Before that (in open loop operation), it could idle at about 1200. So all the things you are describing could be normal. The voltage from the alternator is about right.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-29-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skeeterz:

It idled high for about 5 minutes then went down. Don't know what that's all about?

Normal for a Fiero. If you are interested you can get a lower cold idle speed chip - http://www.reddevilriver.com/Related_Products.html <<< This site is me. The lower cold idle speed is cosmetic only. Some people like the lower, more "normal' cold idle speed.

The alt. gage ran alittle over 13 when the lights were off. Once I turned the lights on it went down to 12. Is the alternator working right?

Nope - The alternator output voltage is low. Was the belt squealing?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-29-2014).]

Skeeterz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkeeterzSend a Private Message to SkeeterzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No the belt does not squeak and is pretty tight. It seems like it works good sometimes and not good others. Just started it awhile ago and it was at almost 15 before I turned the lights on and a little below 14 when lights were turned on. I also notice that when I turn the lights on while idling the rpms slow down and it sounds like the engine is working harder. Is that normal?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock