Electric deck lid pop switch by Lou and Blue
Started on: 04-27-2014 08:41 PM
Replies: 21 (572 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 04-28-2014 11:28 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My electric switch to pop the deck lid open used to work and now it doesn't , haven't checked any fuses yet though.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check the fuse, then if still bad...
check wiring-start at latch,follow through decklid and into harness looking for breaks or anything disconnected.
lastly pull the switch and touch wires to see if it pops the lock.
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check to make sure your parking brake is engaging properly. Sometimes the switch doesn't engage properly to send the signal that allows the popper to work.
FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I type slower.

[This message has been edited by FTF Engineering (edited 04-27-2014).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The small "rocker" on the outer switch cover has probably broken off. Remove the switch from the bezel and with a small flat blade screw driver, carefully pop the gray plastic outer cover off of the base of the switch. You will know immediately if the rocker/tab has broken off. The switch itself rarely breaks and since it was working before it is unlikely that there is anything wrong with the wiring too. Check the fuses first, but then check out the switch.
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

The small "rocker" on the outer switch cover has probably broken off. Remove the switch from the bezel and with a small flat blade screw driver, carefully pop the gray plastic outer cover off of the base of the switch. You will know immediately if the rocker/tab has broken off. The switch itself rarely breaks and since it was working before it is unlikely that there is anything wrong with the wiring too. Check the fuses first, but then check out the switch.

Before you even pull the plastic outer cover, you can probably just give it a little shake and hear the broken piece inside.

This is what happened to mine. I was able to replace my switch and it worked like a charm.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This '88GT spent many years stored in the sun. When I got it, the rear deck popper didn't work. I found voltage appearing at the actuator, so pulled it apart. It was rusty and frozen.

I could not disassemble the solenoid, but cleaned up everything - then got it quite hot and applied light oil. Eventually the plunger could be moved, and with work it became free. I re-cleaned it, applied grease and it works fine now.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could also be that the relay is kaput:

fiero2kewl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2kewlSend a Private Message to fiero2kewlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try checking the relay thats on the rightside of the column in a U shaped holder.... I had a bad switch in one of my cars so I took it apart used the bottom piece that has the 2 screw holes (base) and drilled a hole and put in a toggle switch. I used 2 spade connetors and it slides right into the harness works just fine but isnt show quality. goodluck =)
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The deck lid switch completes the circuit using the deck-lid switch and the trunk latch bar when closed. Try adjusting the deck lid switch to a slight interference or have someone push or pull on the deck lid while you depress the deck release button and listen for the click. Happened to my 86 SE and drove me crazy.

While deck is open, you may also use a temporary ground wire from the trunk latch bar to the switch mechanics and listen for he solinoid click to check function.

[This message has been edited by jhgraham (edited 04-28-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its an auto, it has to be in park to work,
if its a standard the Ebrake has to be set.
first check the easiest to check fix, the FUSE, I didn't once and have regretted it ever since. I actually had a bad fuse and ended up drilling out a trunk lock and all it was, was the Fuse, talk about pissing myself off.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Check to make sure your parking brake is engaging properly. Sometimes the switch doesn't engage properly to send the signal that allows the popper to work.

I didn't know the parking brake had to be up to use the popper. Is there a way to override that ?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
When I hold the parking brake switch down, I can hear a clicking behind the dash that I can't hear if the parking brake switch isn't pressed down, but still no trunk lid pop.
Strange.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clicking sound is your relay actuating so there's a good chance it's fine. It's still possible that the main contacts inside the relay aren't closing properly, but it's unlikely. So the next thing you should look at is whether the four pin connector near the passenger side deck lid hinge is connected. Since some of the four pins are used to turn on your trunk light, if your trunk light doesn't come on, then there's a good chance it's disconnected. Here's a photo of where to look... but depending on the model of your car, it may be in a different location. You haven't yet stated what year and model car you have.

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry it's an 85 GT v6. It's in my signature, I did disconnect the deck lid light connection at the light itself, maybe that did it. Hmmm, ill have to check that. Thanks !

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just an aside,be careful how you disconnected the light. i just took wires off bulb assembly and tucked them down the hole. a few weeks later, i came out to a car filling with smoke as the wires touched each other or the metal inside the passageway. would have burned down the car if i was 2 minutes later. put in a bulb light that has a switch built in..i think blazers have them.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took one wire off the bulb assembly, maybe I should just hook that wire back up and remove the bulb itself, first ill see if reconnecting the wire allows the trunk popper to work. I only disconnected it because I was doimg work on the clutch slave and I didn't want to run the battery down, I could just hook it back up again and just keep the bulb in and take the bulb out when I am gonna have the deck lid open for a longtime.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

I didn't know the parking brake had to be up to use the popper. Is there a way to override that ?

Yes, I did mine. All you have to do is cut and ground the wire that goes to the park brake from the switch. If I remember right, just search it.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What if I just pull that black plastic clip off the switch? Ill try that to see if it works.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ground the wire to the e-brake switch then the dash light will always be on so that's not a good idea. Also, if you disconnect the e-brake switch, then your trunk will never be able to open because it needs the wire to be grounded for the relay to actuate.

Also, reconnecting the trunk light isn't going to do anything because they are separate circuits. You misunderstood my comment about the four pin connector. Since your car is an '85 anyway, it won't have the four pin connector because it's wired differently than the '86-up. I'm not exactly sure of the routing for the trunk release solenoid wire on the earlier cars, but you should be able to follow it from the solenoid back to see if it's disconnected anywhere.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at your deck lid on the driver's side right by the hinge. There is a black wire there with a connector on it, they come apart fairly easily. That's the trunk popper switch wire on the '85.

Edit: Here's a picture of the connector -

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 04-29-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Look at your deck lid on the driver's side right by the hinge. There is a black wire there with a connector on it, they come apart fairly easily. That's the trunk popper switch wire on the '85.

Thank you, I will check that!

Please look at my thread on the engine cutting out, that is obviously a big priority right now being that I'm using the car as my daily driver to work while Chrysler tries to figure out why my wife's 2009 van keeps stalling (they already over hauled the tranny and then told me maybe the "new" parts they installed might have been damaged- what a headache, its been there or two months)

THANK YOU ALL !

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: