cv axle by sgosser
Started on: 04-27-2014 12:11 PM
Replies: 7 (147 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 04-27-2014 03:20 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I had the back of the car jacked up I checked to see if there was any play in the wheels, both sides I can move up and down between half inch and an inch, ball joints are good, it seems to be in the hub or cv axles, I was wondering how concerned I should be and the next step in looking at it. it is a new to me 2.8 4 speed, that was a daily driver for someone. thanks
scott

------------------
Scott
85 gt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheel bearings loose? That is too much slop to be safe.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-27-2014).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it move side to side or vertical? I would be looking at the strut if it's vertical.
Or the control arm bushings.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Custom2M4 (edited 04-27-2014).]

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it moves vertical only. mechanic friend came by but did not have time to look close. he said he couldn't tell yet where it is coming from but that it wasn't ball joints. It is storming bad here right now or I would go check it again. I am pretty sure it will move vertical only. It seems to be something internal. The struts don't move at all but the movement up and down is moving inside the axle boots I think or maybe in the hub. I am not sure. thanks
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear bearing/hub unit is the anchor point for both the wheel and the outer end of the CV axle. If it's bad, then the wheel will be able to wiggle in every direction. And the CV axle will wiggle along with it.

If the ball joint is bad, then the entire wheel/hub/knuckle assembly will move back and forth as a unit.

If the toe link is bad, then the wheel will wiggle left to right, but not up and down.

Sounds to me like the bearing/hub unit is bad. But if it's bad enough to let the wheel wiggle over 1/2", then it should also be making some pretty scary noises when you drive it. And the back end will float around. This is a MAJOR safety issue. Because if the bearing/hub unit comes apart, the wheel can literally come off the car.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-27-2014).]

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that sounds bad. I haven't driven it yet so I can not confirm any behavior. The whole cradle, engine, trans I bought from an 87 and installed in my 85. just got it hooked up. I guess my first inspection should be of the hub. thanks
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the nuts on the ends of the axles?
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep. everything is on and tight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock