Broken key in the door by maddoc
Started on: 04-26-2014 06:33 PM
Replies: 12 (294 views)
Last post by: uhlanstan on 05-02-2014 06:51 PM
maddoc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddocSend a Private Message to maddocEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone broken a key off in the door of an 88 GT, and if so how did you get it out of there . Willing to try just about anything except tear the whole thing apart.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can drive it to a locksmith. They are very good at this sort of thing.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

You can drive it to a locksmith. They are very good at this sort of thing.

Ayup that's about the easiest way, not sure how expensive it is but it sure will be the easiest for you. Depending on how far in the lock it broke will depend on how hard it is to get out. If you can see it, the broken part is sticking out beyond the key cover flap you may be able to get it out with a thin pair of tweezers, or just a pin. put a small drop of super glue onto the end of a pin, be very carful to only touch the key,, nothing around it, let it set a few seconds and once it sets pull slowly.

or if the key is broken inside under the dust flap/cover use 2 pins, one to push the dust cover in and the other held with a pair of small locking pliers or hemostats, or hold each pin with hemostats if you have to, I always have a pair or 2 in my tool and fishing tackle box. pry the key out with 1 coming up from underneath as that is where the key is cut and the best part of the key to get a grab on.

last resort is take the lock right out of the door and bring it to a lock smith, knowing just how big a pain in the ass those locks are to take out, that is a last resort.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maddoc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maddocSend a Private Message to maddocEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, It is behind the flap,I can see it but can't grab it. your post gave me an idea though. Gonna look through my tackle box and see if I can grab that thing with a fish hook.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Straighten out the hook and used the barbed part to try and pull the key out.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What has worked for me is a jig saw blade (a hacksaw blade will also work). Grind it so that it is only 1/8 of an inch or so tall. It needs to be very short to get between the tumblers and the key. I used a bench grinder and pliers to hold the blade, but it could be done with a Dremel and pliers or a vise. You want to insert the blade with the teeth toward the key. Also, insert so that the teeth are pointing back toward you. That way the teeth will tend to slide in, and will catch on the way out. Insert blade about the full depth of the key (you will probably have to work it in carefully), and with some upward pressure, pull the key out.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Straighten out the hook and used the barbed part to try and pull the key out.

Do those bend before they brake? if so a little heat with a propane torch my help with that, hell just a bic lighter might be enough heat for a fish hook, keeping it from braking anyway.

Steve
maddoc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maddocSend a Private Message to maddocEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried the hook , managed to push it in just a fraction of an inch further. Thought I had it , it is loose, but just can't seem to grab it enough to pull it out. I t is pretty frustrating . Must be something else that I am missing.
ckrummy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ckrummySend a Private Message to ckrummyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should be able to take the door skin off (or get it from inside the door panel) there is usually a small hole in the back of the lock to push out a broken key.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
smaller barb on the hook, maybe.

Steve
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

smaller barb on the hook, maybe.

Steve

Yeah, I am thinking one of those little perch hooks.... or smaller.
PFF
System Bot
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ang84indy is correct if you search on the internet,"remove broken key".. you will find a how to , lock smith tool that is similar to the locksmith tool used to remove broken keys ,there is probably a diagram of how to make the tool from a hacksaw blade

you can get an estimate from different locksmith ,,some remove a broken car key cheap! a great variety of price
drive the car to locksmith
if you have AAA go to a AAA locksmith ,no AAA have a friend with AAA accompany you.. there is info on how to pick a lock
this has been done by a tool made from firm plastic ,,,a matter of touch

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-02-2014).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uhlanstan

6446 posts
Member since Apr 2007
always have a spare set of keys at the house !!excellent idea to have a set of keys in a difficult hard to get to spot on every car you own
one day it will pay off
very few cars are stolen by a thief who found the well hidden emergency keys
some form of smash & wire is most common
Insurance co & police recomend you not hide the key on the car,, just hide it well,difficult to remove
mine is JB weld in place
you are an avid wild poster

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 05-02-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock