gear problem by boclet
Started on: 04-26-2014 01:40 PM
Replies: 20 (259 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 05-19-2014 11:31 AM
boclet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a problem to go through the gears with my 2.5 fiero. .The
clutch is brain new, the linkage functions are well oiled but
sometimes happens to me that I am stuck in the third speed, with
impossibility of getting the others. If I cut off the contact, I can new to change
gears.
Does is there an interaction between the contact and gear box ?
On my car the clutch rod moves about 2 inches, fierostrore says it is too much .... has somebody had a similar problem ?
what is your opinion? thank you to advise me , I am lost.
>Sorry for my english I am french ..best regards
> >> >> >
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes 2" is too much movement on the clutch rod. If you press the clutch only 3/4 the way down for this shift does this problem go away?

I am wondering if the problem is that the pressure plate fingers being over-depressed is locking onto the center springs of the clutch disk. Turning off the contact (ignition) takes away the pressure of the engine to the drivetrain and allows the fingers to move back. Just a guess.

Your English is better than my French.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-26-2014).]

ranger stone

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ranger stoneSend a Private Message to ranger stoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look in the Haynes or Chilton manual & AJUST the cables first by remove shifter knob, then console cover ,,use a drill bit or a nail to correctly center the shift ajustments ..
under the console, while the console is off lube the moving parts, avoid getting oil on the small rubber roller
you can pull the shifter over a little & with out removing it,, & clean & lube it.

now under the hood ajust the cables where they connect to the transmission, be precise as possible
check cables to make sure their are not loose , broken wires

I was recently shown how to do this by a central florida fiero forum member & it really made a difference .
the instructions in the Haynes manual are easy to follow
I was told any Fiero would shift better & the tranny last longer if this was done sure work for me ..
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

How is it possible to get 2" of travel on the slave cylinder rod? Is this something new? Perhaps the Master Cylinder is the wrong one?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-26-2014).]

boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you for your help . I have already checked that the cables slipped well into the sheath and that all was oiled correctly. if I disconnect them on the gear box, the gear shift lever moves without difficulty. The cluch emeter is new.....thank you again for all your suggestions ... I have not tried not to push the pedal at her maximum, because I am afraid to use my car and have again the problem ....to come baok to my hom there is a big slope, this is the reason why I have burnt my clutch , trying ton climb it on the third gear..my clutch is now new..So I would like to find a solution before going out . I was able to change the gear when the contact is off only in my garage , I am not sure it would work lije this again outside ...thank you again.
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have checked again and the travel of the lever is the good one .!!! do you have any another idea ? what is the use of the switch which is on the clutch pedal ? this seems to be an electical connection between the car and the clutch ..I remind that if I cut off the car , I can again change the gear...thank you again for your ideas and your help . In France this kind of car is very rare and nobody is able to help me ...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The switch is for the starter. The clutch pedal must be depressed before the starter will operate. Can you post pictures of your car?

If you can change gears with the engine off, but not with the engine running, the clutch is not fully dis-engaged, and there is probably air in the system.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-08-2014).]

ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch slave cylinder/master cylinder problems are common. look into the Rodney Dickman replacement parts.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...g/index.php?cPath=61

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

[This message has been edited by ag9123 (edited 05-08-2014).]

boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unfortunatly master cylinder is brain new, and I have checked there is no air... I could change the gears, but at a random moment, when I am on the third gear, impossible to go down or to go up...the gear lever is as blocked ...I come back at home as I can, on the third gear, quite difficult without burning the clutch...Once at home, I cut the contact, and then it seems that I can change all the gears... but without trying on the road it is difficult to test again..there is a big slope to come back home, and on the third gear it is quite difficult. this Is the reason I would like to find the biginning of a solution before trying again . Of course, I can send pictures of my car, but what would you like to see and how do I have to proceed on the site to join them ? do you think I should change the entire gear box ? or the problem is elsewhere? .If I deconnect the two cables on the gear box, I move very easily the gear level... My car is wedged in my garage , I do not dare to leave in these conditions ...best regards and thank you again .
Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bonjour,
Je suis un anglais qui réside en France depuis 23 ans.
Je pense que ton émetteur d'embrayage est usé.
J'avais le même problème avec ma '87 GT.
EBay pour l'émetteur.
Attention avec la purge: il faut faire avec un peu de pression d'air sur le bocal pour bien chasser l'air dans les tuyaux.
La méthode de pompage avec le pied ne marche jamais bien!
Bonne chance,
Rafe

[This message has been edited by Englishrafe (edited 05-10-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Englishrafe:

Bonjour,
Je suis un anglais qui réside en France depuis 23 ans.
Je pense que ton émetteur d'embrayage est usé.
J'avais le même problème avec ma '87 GT.
EBay pour l'émetteur.
Attention avec la purge: il faut faire avec un peu de pression d'air sur le bocal pour bien chasser l'air dans les tuyaux.
La méthode de pompage avec le pied ne marche jamais bien!
Bonne chance,
Rafe

up yours, only words I know in other languages are not ones I can use on a family forum,

I have a question that may sound dumb, but hey I am famous here for saying dumb crap.

have you checked the fluid level in the trany? there is a plug on the side of the trany that you use to fill it with and check the fluid level, if you can find it take the plug out I forget what side its on but its about half way up the side of the trany or maybe even closer to the top, just remove it and stick your finger in, if you can feel fluid it has enough if not you need to add some. hey that's how you do it, there is no dipstick for a standard trany, hell some of the newest vehicles don't even have a dipstick for the automatics.

edit to add the car has to be up in the air obviously and level to get a true reading.

And oh ya welcome aboard the nut house, you have to be nuts to be driving a 25+ year old car today, but then this is the best nuthouse forum on the net I have ever found and the best info on any vehicles, not just Fieros.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-10-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
merci a cet ami anglais pour son conseil, tellement bienvenu en francais car mon anglais technique n'est vraiment pas bon, surtout pour comprendre . Mon emetteur d'embrayage est nef, acheté chez Fierostore , mais je vais essayer de purger suivant vos conseils !!! merci encore je suis ravi de trouver quelqu'un qui semble avoir eu le meme probleme !!!
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

boclet

10 posts
Member since Apr 2014
thank you again, yes I have checked the trany level which is OK, unfortunatly !!!
best regards
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the master cylinder is new, I cannot see any link, the trany level is OK ... as somebody any new idea of my random problem of third gear blocked ? thanks again !!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boclet:

the master cylinder is new, I cannot see any link, the trany level is OK ... as somebody any new idea of my random problem of third gear blocked ? thanks again !!

Bad 3rd gear Synchro? I really hope not but just being it is only a problem with one gear it is a definite possibility.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
have you tried double clutching?

http://auto.howstuffworks.c...on-synchronizers.htm

an in depth explanation of how tranys work

it is several pages long so read it all as autos are explained first.

http://auto.howstuffworks.c...smission-trouble.htm

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-14-2014).]

boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you again for this help... but to do a double clutching I should change on neutral gear ...and when the problem appears, it is impossible to change to neutral ..I can only stay on the third one, impossible to change to another gear .
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

boclet

10 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I have read all the pages of http://auto.howstuffworks.c...smission-trouble.htm and I thank you again ..My english is not good, but I didn't find something that could explain my problem, but it was very interesting.
I still try to find ....
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps if you could post some pictures of your cars master and slave cylinder, we could determine what is amiss. I am still wondering about 2" of travel on the slave cylinder.
boclet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bocletSend a Private Message to bocletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done the pictures, but I cannot find how to send them .
In fact the the clutch rod moves less than 2 inches, but 1 " 1/4 , I made a mistake during the measurement ...
Still thank you for your help and your ideas
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find that red white and blue box (Pennock's Image Poster) at the bottom of the page and click it. It will give you instructions.

Your pictures have to be about 800 pixels wide to be successful.

1 - 1/4" is a good distance so maybe pictures are not needed.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-19-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock