4cly to v6 transfer by PontFry
Started on: 04-25-2014 05:49 PM
Replies: 10 (222 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-01-2014 01:52 PM
PontFry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontFrySend a Private Message to PontFryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I hit some rail road tracks and totaled the front suspension of my 88 formula(bent the car in half basically). The drive train still works great so I was considering swapping into another car. I Found an 88 4cly car that needs an engine for cheap. How extraneous is the v6 transplant?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! We want pictures! I don't know if anyone has bent a Fiero in half....I'd like to see that.

The dirvetrain swap should work pretty well. Don't forget the rear sway bar. Check the option tag on the inner fender well for spring options and other things that you may want to transfer.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-25-2014).]

PontFry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontFrySend a Private Message to PontFryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a method to post pics to the forum yet. As far as the "bent in half" statement, it is bent at the mid point of the car right before the windshield. The nose in slammed into the ground and the subframe seems to have taken damage. The passenger wheel was shoved up and into the back of the wheel well. so this is why I was wondering if transferring my formula running gear in to a 4cly car would pose a big issue.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dukes of hazard style?
Sorry first thing came to mind.
PontFry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontFrySend a Private Message to PontFryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've actually heard that a few times haha. I wish it was something a little better of a story rather than bad vision due to horrid wiper blades and being late at night. I simply drove right into 2 sets of railroad tracks missing the slight curve in the road I didn't see. I'm still kicking myself for such a stupid mistake that ruined my formula.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontFry:

I don't have a method to post pics to the forum yet.

You do now.

Use PIP
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both being 88s, drop the cradle from the wreck (with engine/trans, all wiring, ecm, exhaust, axles and all) and bolt it in the 4 cyl car. should be very easy
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Lou. Drop the whole cradle out of both, then swap the whole V6 cradle setup back into the 4cyl car. Leave the V6 engine harness on the motor and you need take the V6 ECM.

You should be able to part out the wrecked 88. 88 cradle, 88 brakes, etc.

Here is the best writeup I know of for dropping the V6 out. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088599.html

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

PontFry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontFrySend a Private Message to PontFryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the info and help, unfortunately I have decided to go a different route. I have another fiero with out a motor, trans, dash, seat, interior, basically anything but the shell. It is an 86 T-Top so I will have to buy the kit to put my 88 cradle in it(I pray there was no damage to it). I was reluctant to use the car because I got it from FOY(big mistake) it was supposed to be a running and driving 4.9, but instead I got a shell back that had been used as an ash tray seeing as the only new "things" in the car were cigarette butts.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As far as the "bent in half" statement, it is bent at the mid point of the car right before the windshield. The nose in slammed into the ground and the subframe seems to have taken damage. The passenger wheel was shoved up and into the back of the wheel well. so this is why I was wondering if transferring my formula running gear in to a 4cly car would pose a big issue.

Could this just be a ball joint failure?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was reluctant to use the car because I got it from FOY (big mistake) it was supposed to be a running and driving 4.9, but instead I got a shell back that had been used as an ash tray seeing as the only new "things" in the car were cigarette butts.

It's amazing (and disheartening) that shysters like FOY get away with screwing so many people.

We'd still like to see some pictures of how you bent the car in half.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-01-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock