2.8 crank bolt size by TbirdMarc
Started on: 04-25-2014 11:29 AM
Replies: 7 (258 views)
Last post by: TurtleTamer on 04-27-2014 07:22 PM
TbirdMarc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know the 2.8 crank bolt head size? I just picked up an '87 Gt for three hundred bucks, but the starter just engages but won't turn the motor. The car is surprisingly rust free so I'm hoping the motor will turn by hand.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking 18 mm

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like a 3/4 fit, but won't turn -- I guess it is stuck.. still a good buy I think.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you suspect the engine has been sitting for awhile, make sure you take the spark plugs out and squirt some oil in each cylinder. Allow the oil to soak in, and then try turning the engine over by hand again.

I used ATF in a couple of engines this way, and both engines freed up and eventually ran fine.
TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, Car has been sitting for 12 years. I sprayed some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes. I will let it sit for a few days and try again, if not will probably put a crate 3.4 in it.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TbirdMarc:

Yep, Car has been sitting for 12 years. I sprayed some PB Blaster in the spark plug holes. I will let it sit for a few days and try again, if not will probably put a crate 3.4 in it.

It may be wise to remove the O2 sensor before starting your engine. Screw a plug into the hole temporarily.
P-Blaster / ATF / Oil etc may foul the O2 and you'll wonder why the engine is running so bad. The "cat" may also get its share of contamination as well.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

It may be wise to remove the O2 sensor before starting your engine. Screw a plug into the hole temporarily.
P-Blaster / ATF / Oil etc may foul the O2 and you'll wonder why the engine is running so bad. The "cat" may also get its share of contamination as well.

Spoon

Godd idea but I don't think I will get this engine going, it seems quite stuck. I'm in the process of doing a 3.8sc swap in my formula and I wanted to do a 3.4 pushrod into this car but it looks like the 3.4 crate engine has been discontinued. Does anyone know any alternatives or another bolt in type swap?
TurtleTamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurtleTamerSend a Private Message to TurtleTamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine took a 19mm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock