Weird whistling sound and no power by Ray_and_kevin
Started on: 04-25-2014 10:19 AM
Replies: 3 (126 views)
Last post by: Ray_and_kevin on 04-25-2014 05:07 PM
Ray_and_kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that the ignition is working on the white 88 GT, it has developed a new issue. It feels like someone put bananas up the tail pipe when I stomp on the accelerator. It has also developed a really loud but fairly constant pitch whistle.

The whistle was fairly intermittent at first, but now it is pretty constant above 1500 RPM. Yesterday on the way home from work it would only whistle above 2000 RPM and only when giving it throttle. The whistle is pretty constant pitch (really high pitch) which tells me it is coming from something with a constant orifice. Sort of like a coke bottle effect. I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. It seems to be coming from the center of the engine compartment.

My guess is a collapsed exhaust system, but which piece? My two experiences with collapsed Catalytic converters (both V6 Fieros) were not like this. It was pretty obvious and the cars would not go much above 30 MPH. Also, no weird sounds in those cases.

This is the car that had a 3.4l engine swap and may not have a stock exhaust, so SWAGs are solicited.

Any words of wisdom? Suggestions on diagnosis steps?

Thanks

Ray
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The honeycomb stuff inside the CAT breaks up in many different ways. Bang on it and listen for rattles.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah either air out, or air in.
Maybe a mouse is jammed in your intake?
Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually considered the mouse theory or maybe a boa constrictor after he ate the mouse :-)

First place to look was the air cleaner to make sure. Ran it with top off for two blocks and still noise. Man, that intake is LOUD.

Will do the knock on the CAT test when I get home.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock