Radio confusion on this '88GT by notaguru
Started on: 04-24-2014 01:11 PM
Replies: 6 (224 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 04-25-2014 05:57 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageClick Here to Email notaguruSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm reviving an '88GT that spent most of its life stored in the sun - unprepared and unprotected. Everything's finally running, so I can focus on the sound system. Someone installed a Sony CDX F5500 receiver/CD, and newer speakers in the dash. HOWEVER:

----I hear nothing from the speaker vents behind the two seats.

----The overhead panel includes an audio quality switch that seems to do nothing.

----There is no serious bass - if there is a subwoofer in the car, where? Does it have a separate amplifier?

----Would it be smart to revert to an original radio/CD?

THANKS YET AGAIN, GURUS
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're talking about the vent grills on each side of the center console, those don't contain speakers. The rear speakers are up top at each end of the rear glass, in the side panels.

The factory subwoofer system control you have on your overhead operates the speaker that should be located underneath the passenger end of the dash. There isn't a separate amplifier. It's totally controlled by the slider on the overhead. Some aftermarket systems either don't support the subwoofer, or must be wired into the Fiero system.

A common upgrade to the Fiero system is to use the 2000 era Grand Prix radio and it will support a subwoofer with the correct harness converter. The CD units have 7 band equalizers that will pump out pretty good bass, just on its own.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like they didn't connect the Sony properly, you should have rear speakers.
I'm not sure how you'd connect that to the subwoofer system and get it working.

The subwoofer system is pictured below and is controlled by the overhead slider.
The amplifier is under the carpet on the passenger side console tunnel.
http://calgaryfieros.com/OSGdocs/subwoofer.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-25-2014).]

notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageClick Here to Email notaguruSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!
This is really good news -- what I thought was part of the HVAC is really a woofer. Now I just need to figure out how to wire it and I'm in business. In a cabin that small, the sound should be excellent.

THANKS!
jschmidt95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Click Here to Email jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this link Should help you a lot, I know it helped me!

Stock Fiero Subwoofer

Also if your car was in the sun for a long time like that, the sub speaker itself is probably shot. I got a replacement from Rodney, great buy!

-John

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a lot of people don't hook up the subwoofer when they install an aftermarket radio because it requires an extra step of a relay. The factory radio drives the sub amp directly, but aftermarket radios cannot. You need a relay. Or I did like Oliver suggested and I just connected the subwoofer to switched power and it comes on with the car.

Yes the Fiero cabin is small and a new suwoofer is far better than nothing but don't get your hopes up too high, it's still a 5 1/4" woofer. Not going to rattle the windows.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-24-2014).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Or I did like Oliver suggested and I just connected the subwoofer to switched power and it comes on with the car.

That is what I do - connect the sub power feed to the ign feed going to the radio, no need for a relay.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock