Harmonic balancer purchase lesson by trotterlg
Started on: 04-23-2014 11:43 PM
Replies: 10 (288 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 04-28-2014 07:52 AM
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Needed a new balancer, off to trusty Ebay I went. Here are two, both identical: Number one

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/230797894607?item=230797894607&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_1335wt_1129]Number two

If you look at the numbers you see they are identical and both made by Dorman.

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-23-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Needed a new balancer, off to trusty Ebay I went. Here are two, both identical: Number one

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/230797894607?item=230797894607&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_1335wt_1129]Number two

If you look at the numbers you see they are identical and both made by Dorman.

one is in aussie $, probably in Australia, or being marketed to them.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aussie dollars aren't much different in value than US dollars. I deal with proff on a fairly regular basis. Parts for his Fieros, his Toyota Hilux diesel and his Jeep Liberty are ungodly expensive over there. I can get them, ship them with import duties and he still comes out at less than half price on most things. Things over there are just plain expensive.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Aussie dollars aren't much different in value than US dollars. I deal with proff on a fairly regular basis. Parts for his Fieros, his Toyota Hilux diesel and his Jeep Liberty are ungodly expensive over there. I can get them, ship them with import duties and he still comes out at less than half price on most things. Things over there are just plain expensive.

I wasn't referring to the exchange rate, but that it's probably in Australia.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is sort of a bad example I used, but the point is that you can buy the exact same product for a very wide price range, the one I got cost $20.00 delivered, and I see the same ones many places for $75.00 to $100. Larry
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
question: are the timing marks in the correct position as the fiero balancer, or does it have the marks of the Camaro/Firebird balancer?
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, they will be in the wrong place, but I don't have markers on the timing cover I have, so I just made a little pointer and move it to point to the TDC mark when the #1 is at TDC, it is on this engine:

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey! whatever works, right? as long as you got the tdc marked correctly. you can bump it back a little from there
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The machine shop I used put both on a shaft with a keyway. They lined up the tooling with the marks on the 2.8, clamped the unit to a milling machine and traveled the bed to cut marks in the new balancer. If the outer ring has slipped, this won't work, though.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgClick Here to Email trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last one I just put on the crank, put a stick in the spark plug hole and set it to TDC, then bolted the pointer to point at the mark. Larry
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another balancer lesson, when transfering the marks, don't put the balancers face to face, it doesn't work.
Make sure they both face the same direction.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock