Intermittent missing by newfiejeff
Started on: 04-23-2014 05:13 PM
Replies: 20 (249 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 04-26-2014 07:37 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2m4
Where to start to look for an intermittent missing causing black smoke. I bought the car last fall and the ride home it was really bad for about 20 minutes out of a 2 hour ride then left her andit ran smooth after that. It came back again at a couple of odd times but left her hen I pulled over and raced it over a few times.
I am after replacing plugs,gas and air filter the winter.
You are probably going to tell me that I need the tank flushed. I am thinking it's dirt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your vacuum lines for any cracks.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done that any everything is good, it has a great idle, so lines are good.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would a sensor cause this problem?
Driving to work today going up the same hill as yesterday, the car started to smoke black and miss. I pushed in on the clutch and gave it a few shots of gas and then I went on best kind.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad CTS will usually make the engine run rich.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-24-2014).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it give trouble intermittent?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the sensor is OK and the wiring is not.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will check the wiring when I get home.
Seems pretty coincidental that it happened when going up the same hill. Could it be dirt/water moving in the tank and getting sucked up?
Anyone got the specs on testing of the sensor?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull tach filter and leave it out till sure filter isn't the problem.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you are saying that the filter could be the problem? My tach is not showing a true reading, maybe it's all related.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Driving to work today going up the same hill as yesterday, the car started to smoke black and miss. I pushed in on the clutch and gave it a few shots of gas and then I went on best kind.

Not the gas tank, but change the fuel filter.
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replying I meant the tach filter. I am after replacing the filter after I got the car which was only last fall and only got about 400 or 500 klms on it.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The miss and black smoke happened on the way home again yesterday and a few shots of hard gas it was gone.
Came to work this morning and no issue at all.

I am thinking that there is ugly gremlins in the gas tank!!!!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black smoke is unburned fuel and a misfire is an indication your ignition isn't working properly. Pull the distributor cap off and make sure the pick up coil at the top doesn't look like this:

Also, make sure your PCV valve is working properly (it should rattle when shaken).
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check that this weekend and I know the PCV is fine.
But by me giving a couple of good shots of gas when its startS to miss it works fine after that, almost seems like its cleaning out some kind of dirt.
Would water in the gas also cause that trouble? If so what is the best to get water out of the tank?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The black smoke indicates excess fuel. That would happen if the spark did not fire for a few revolutions and then suddenly fired again. I doubt if water is your problem, but you can purchase an additive for the fuel tank that should take care of it. BTW, if your distributor looks half as bad as Bloozberry's picture, find another one.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:
But by me giving a couple of good shots of gas when its startS to miss it works fine after that, almost seems like its cleaning out some kind of dirt.

This is what my fuel filter clgged up was like.
You might have more than one issue, but if the fuel filter is old it needs replace anyway.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just checked the codes and a code 15 is what is showing
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bingo.....
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just checked the sensor and the lock for the harness was broke. I bent the sensor leads a little and push the connector in and test drove it and it seemed fine. So I pushed the connector hard in and put tape around it. Maybe the cable was not making a good connection all the time and that is why it was it intermittent and when I revved it over it seemed to help.
Is this wishful thinking....lol
Raining too much to fully check

[This message has been edited by newfiejeff (edited 04-25-2014).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update
Must have been a slack sensor connector. I took the car for some gas and a good run it ran perfect and it idles the best it ever did. Would the cts affect the idling?
Thanks again for all who helped!!!!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock