Cat removed, needed for inspection by newfiejeff
Started on: 04-23-2014 05:06 PM
Replies: 11 (256 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-24-2014 03:03 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know if you need the cat converter is needed to pass inspection in Canada?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your local and provincial laws. I don't think Canadian federal law requires it, but your locality might.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it came with a cat, it needs to have one if you're passing an emissions inspection. If you're talking about a safety, it will depend on the guy doing it. It doesn't affect safety, but the guy could look for it. Mine is an '85, so in Ontario I don't need to do the emission test anymore, not sure about the NFLD laws for emissions.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 04-23-2014).]

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For newfoundland, it looks like you can't remove your catalytic converter:

Removal or modification prohibited

6.3 A person may not remove or modify or allow to be removed or modified a device installed in a motor vehicle to reduce or eliminate the emission of a contaminant into the environment or in the case of a motor vehicle equipped with a catalytic converter modify or allow to be modified the opening of the fuel tank or pour leaded gasoline in it.

For those in Ontario, you only need an e-test for 88 and newer. However, you're still required to have your catalytic converter:

Catalytic Converters

5. (1), (2) Revoked: O. Reg. 191/10, s. 6.

(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.

(4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,

(a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or

(b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 04-24-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought we all learned our lesson about making ANY post where someone wants to or did remove cat. LOL
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

I thought we all learned our lesson about making ANY post where someone wants to or did remove cat. LOL

True

However, the question was specifically "Is it needed in Canada", with his location being Newfoundland. And the answer is: According to Newfoundland's Highway Traffic Act, the answer is "yes".

I'm not commenting on whether he should, whether he might get away with it, or whether it's the correct choice for the planet, our children, and children's children.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

I'm not commenting on whether he should, whether he might get away with it, or whether it's the correct choice for the planet, our children, and children's children.

As long as it's done in a civil manner, in threads on catalytic converters I see no problem with people expressing their opinions on the use of catalytic converters.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So another question does a universal cat fit all years in a 2.5 engine. I was looking on EBay and some will fit the 2.5 GT but not value leader model.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me in Ohio, emmissions test is not required. My restored 66 Dodge passed one with its 413 cu in engine. No cats, never had them...and dual exhaust with Moroso spiral flow mufflers. You dont necessarily HAVE to have a cat to have a clean exhaust. Legalities are more pertinent.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

So another question does a universal cat fit all years in a 2.5 engine. I was looking on EBay and some will fit the 2.5 GT but not value leader model.

I know laws maybe different here in Texas, but here it doesn't have to "pass" the sniffer. It just has to have a cat on it. So if you really wanted you could take your stock cat and hallow it out or get one of the fact cats that have a straight pipe in it. The way the law here is wrote says it just has to be there for them to see

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

racingfortheson

377 posts
Member since Aug 2013
O, sorry I meant to quoit the 1st post. I'm not sure about the ebay cats
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

There's no such beast as a "2.5 GT".

Perhaps read my post HERE for some insight on what can be used.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock