Upgrading to the 1988 CS 'I' type alternator, some questions by jschmidt95
Started on: 04-23-2014 04:11 PM
Replies: 6 (551 views)
Last post by: jschmidt95 on 04-26-2014 04:58 PM
jschmidt95

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there

1986 stock V6 w/ A/C 4 speed.

So last week my alternator bracket snapped while trying to loosen the alternator. in the process I also broke the alternator which is the original SI unit. I ordered a new bracket from the Fiero Store and it came yesterday. (side note, they just discontinued the bracket... Fiero store P/N 64919, what happened??) While reading the description, the FS says that the bracket will not work with the disk-type exterior fan alternator, such as the one on my car. So i figured I would upgrade to this one and get the added amps, as it has the blade type fan. I have read that this is a fairly easy swap however, when looking at this 1988 replacement CS alternator it has the S I L P connection rather than the S F L P:

So according to The Ogre's page on CS Alternators:

...I need to have a diode in line to the 'L' connection.

What diode does this need to be?

...also, why did the Fiero Store stop making/selling the alternator brackets?

As usual, thanks for all your continued help!!
-John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paypal me $1.00 and ill send you two. gofast@reddevilriver.com
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent, Thank you!!!!!
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, So i just want to make sure I wire this thing up correctly. Remember this is the CS130 Alternator from the 1988 Fiero and my car is a 1986 V6.

Is this Right?

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrong.
follow wombat conversion directions. link at bottom of that page. only Two splices.
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic, Thanks so much ogre! I gotta work on my following directions....
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jschmidt95

92 posts
Member since Jan 2013
Okay, so I am still having some sort of major problem. I can't get the car started. the alternator is hooked up correctly with Wombat's Instructions. I took the battery in to sears and they said it's good. It's voltage reads right around 13. I open the door, courtesy lights come on, I turn the key to 'ON' i can hear the fuel pump start and then stop, but then when I turn it to start, it cranks for half a second and then everything electrical shuts off and it stops cranking. then when you turn the key back to 'on' or 'off' the electronics stay off until i disconnect, then reconnect the battery. When I tried jumping it from my friend's car, we managed to get it to crank consistently, but it was very slow and the lights dimmed with every crank. All the fusible links have been replaced with good in line fuses, I replace the battery bolts because they were pretty old, and I know it should Work because it started up fine and ran yesterday. I know the alternator is good, because I had the shop test it for me (for free)

Am I missing something? It's like when you try to crank it, all the power gets dumped....

-John

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock