just a thought by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 04-23-2014 01:08 PM
Replies: 14 (353 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 04-25-2014 08:56 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would it be practical, when converting to Power Steering, to Use a "Slave cylinder setup" like they did on the early 1960s chevies, and mustangs ? it bolts with brackets to the existing setup and the2 way "Ram' just moves the tie rod. ??? Just a thought. seems TOO simple
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't want to rely on hydraullics alone to steer my car.. Or if your thinking of more of an assist to our standard rack, then if the line fails then your having to steer the manual rack and two failed hydraullic cyls. a lot of guys use a similar system on offroad trucks to assist the steering of monster tires on trails etc, but I don't think it's worth using on the street.

------------------

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no, it's only 1 cylinder, it was the only power steering design for over 20 years. maybe you're no old enough to remember it.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
I'm not planning to use that method, just wondering if it might not be easier to install.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean you are thinking of using a steering box? It's not really a steering system designed for a remotely modern sports car.

The rack and pinion is a much better design. If anything, what I want for power steering, is a fully electronic system, matching the design of the one in the Honda NSX and S2000.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure he is asking about adapting something like this (stock C3 Vette Power steering) where one end mounts to the chassis or front cross member and the other end mounts to the tie-rod. The only issue I see is the tie rod pivots up and down with the movement of the suspension and this setup is more intended to be mounted to a section that does not move up/down - just side to side.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fieroguru, Thank You ! I see your point about the tie rod end moving up and down.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another issue with that type system. The power valve assembly attached to the end of the center link and the normal pivot that bolted into the pitman arm is replaced by the "ball spring assembly" inside the power valve. Those systems had to have "play" movement to work. Without the movement the spool valve in the power valve will not move enough to direct flow. In later steering boxes, the spool valve is mounted on the worm gear assembly, reducing the movement.
The rack doesn't have a center link pivot point to mount a power valve. And you still need to have a pump. You could use a rack with a spool valve and mount the power piston where the damper is, but then it would be easier just to put a power rack in. And you still need a pump.
The closest you could do is to install the all electric type they were trying to install, if the 1989s came out. Or even use a Chevette power rack with modified tie rods. With a normal pump and all the hosing needed. Or a electric driven pump to the same rack.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've already got a power rack and spare front cross member I'm going to use. it was just curiosity. the electronic is cost prohibitive.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The MR2 power steering system is currently being used in some PS conversions.

Nelson
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I've already got a power rack and spare front cross member I'm going to use. it was just curiosity. the electronic is cost prohibitive.

Not so much, at least if I ever get the time to see if the S2000 rack will actually fit. I picked it up, and the control module for it, for only a couple hundred bucks. Would be a great option if it can be made to fit easily.

And even with an F-body rack, it's not terribly expensive to get an MR2 EHPS pump, either. Plus it could be mounted in the front, so you don't need to run 50ft of power steering hose and shove lots of fluid in to fill all that space up.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 2M4 with 195/70-14 tires feels like it already has power steering, my 85 GT with 205/55-16's, not so much so
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
40 foot of 3/8" Steel line from the 3800 Pump is NOT real expensive. yes an electric pump would be Nice if it was cheap enough. what kind of car ?? Maybe in a U-pull yard.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

40 foot of 3/8" Steel line from the 3800 Pump is NOT real expensive. yes an electric pump would be Nice if it was cheap enough. what kind of car ?? Maybe in a U-pull yard.

It'll definitely be more expensive than a belt pump mounted on the engine, and running the lines. The third gen MR2 Spyder is the car you want the pump out of, as it has the pump and controller as a single unit. The second gen MR2 pump can be used too, but you'll need the separate controller box for it as well.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

The MR2 power steering system is currently being used in some PS conversions.

Nelson

Your right. This is the one I'm using. 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock