Turn signal/ parking lights by KTeague2
Started on: 04-22-2014 07:02 PM
Replies: 17 (360 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 04-24-2014 09:37 AM
KTeague2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KTeague2Send a Private Message to KTeague2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to upgrade my turn signal/ parking lights to LED's, has anyone used white and not gotten in trouble? I have been looking at some lights from this site http://www.tlg-auto.com/fie...sort=featured&page=2 they have some cool switchback LEDs but i'm not sure if those would be legal and same for the white. They do have a amber LED with a clear lens, but I kind of think the white LED looks better.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have looked at theirs too. I think the switchback lights would be okay because they blink orange when used as a turn signal
KTeague2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KTeague2Send a Private Message to KTeague2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I think i'll just have to decide between the amber TW6 bulbs and the switchbacks. I think the amber TW6 is a brighter bulb but with the switchback you get that nice white LED look while just cruising. ahhh decisions, decisions haha.
KTeague2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KTeague2Send a Private Message to KTeague2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KTeague2

7 posts
Member since Apr 2014
oooo and speaking of LEDs the UPS guy just delivered all my LEDs I ordered from that site. I got all 4 dome lights, the 2 floor lights, auto shift light, 2 cigarette lights and two license plate LEDs. Time to go install
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, let us know how they work
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the switchbacks. Clear lens which they wholesale from Fierostore. Switchbacks run white with amber for turn signals in a city with strict cops, no issues. Kinda looks tacky without HID lights but I rarely drive at night. As long as it's amber for directionals, what can they do about it?

Carefully inspect the clear lens on the front as it tends to be cheaply glued and can fall off. I had to use gorilla glue on mine after a year or so.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have them wired so they come on with the ignition? I would like them to do that so that I don't have the taillights on in the daytime.
KTeague2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KTeague2Send a Private Message to KTeague2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well that's good to know, i'll probably end up getting the switchbacks then thank you. Hey does anyone happen to have a wire diagram for the automatic shift light? The bulb that was in there was burnt out, but when I replaced it with the new LED I just got it didn't work. I put the LED in a different socket and the LED works so maybe I have a short or bad ground in that wire? Also, the LED lights I got look nice, however I kinda wish I would've gotten white instead of blue. They aren't as bright as I thought they'd be. The floor lights seem bright enough, but the dome lights seem dim. Probably because a lot of the light is being blocked, I bought the "kit level 2" and it came with the board style LED instead of just one bulb so I had to stick them to the ceiling, not very pleased with how they turned out. I'll probably look for some bulbs, maybe try the "kit level 1" since they are just the one bulb..idk. anyone have any suggestions for bulbs or a fix?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, LED poisoning

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking that sometimes in an attempt to improve our cars we cause harm to other things. I was particularly concerned by The Ogre's comments in the cave about the narrow viewing angle of LEDS when used in the taillight housing. Unlike modern cars that come with LEDS our cars were not designed for LEDS in the taillight housings so who knows if they work properly and safely or not. That being said I would like to have some kind of drl on the side of my Fiero, I guess I could just turn on parking lights but then the taillights are on all the time
2kewlgypsy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2kewlgypsySend a Private Message to 2kewlgypsyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put these (TLG's switchbacks) up front, and love them. Would be interested in wiring to the ignition as well, as I left them on in my driveway for 4 hours on Sunday.
They are more useful on the car if you actually turn them on, and they are better for the battery and restarts if I could remember to turn them off.
Anyone have a blue chime laying around that they would like to ship to me?

------------------
Dave Zane
Justin, TX
86 2m6 https://images.fiero.nl/2012/photo_(6)_4.JPG

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:
I was thinking that sometimes in an attempt to improve our cars we cause harm to other things. I was particularly concerned by The Ogre's comments in the cave about the narrow viewing angle of LEDS when used in the taillight housing. Unlike modern cars that come with LEDS our cars were not designed for LEDS in the taillight housings so who knows if they work properly and safely or not. That being said I would like to have some kind of drl on the side of my Fiero, I guess I could just turn on parking lights but then the taillights are on all the time

Illegal in many states. Only Parking lights on = car is park. (Edit to add> ) parking lights on means front back and side markers are on.

Switchback leds are too bright to use as DRL.
DRL in park/turn fixture just turns on Turn light. (Low Beam HL? 50% bright for DRL mode.)
Maybe www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm DRL-1 and LED replacing 2057 would work.
Note that many report heat problem w/ normal bulbs. Not just WEP DRL add-on but OE GM and other had many problems using normal park/turn bulbs. Problem is 27-29 watts full time in a small fixture can melt lenses etc.
More annoying 2057/1157 lightbulb life is around 1200 hrs. long life than double that but still means replacing dead bulbs every year or less for many drivers.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-23-2014).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KTeague2:

the dome lights seem dim. Probably because a lot of the light is being blocked, I bought the "kit level 2" and it came with the board style LED instead of just one bulb so I had to stick them to the ceiling, not very pleased with how they turned out. I'll probably look for some bulbs, maybe try the "kit level 1" since they are just the one bulb..idk. anyone have any suggestions for bulbs or a fix?

Try not sticking them, but laying them against the clear lenses. They shouldnt go anywhere.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

I was thinking that sometimes in an attempt to improve our cars we cause harm to other things. I was particularly concerned by The Ogre's comments in the cave about the narrow viewing angle of LEDS when used in the taillight housing.

About viewing angle I would think you just need some that make use of the factory reflective dish, and dont just put light out one direction?

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know if those are dot approved?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DOT Does Not approve anything.
See related thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html

Again, a big problem with LEDs is the color temperature and color match.
No matter how the white LED is made, it has the same problems as the very simple example shown in my cave article.
Colored LEDs have a very narrow band of light output.

This means even if you find an LED that works well in an old Ford you still likely have problems using in it on GM product because the color of lenses is a little different. Add to that, lens color can and will fade a little to allot.
I have Front side markers fade out to clear and needs amber bulb to see amber light again.

I'm not sure that Normal bulbs are DOT "approved" or not but a normal tungsten filament doesn't care about color of lenses, means they work same in Ford red and GM red. Normal Bulbs standards are industry wide standards. Retrofit LEDs are anything but standard except what base type and Everyone have their own design, what LED type(s) use, etc.

Want "brighter" taillights clean out and repaint reflectors. After year of use they get allot of junk and heat will darken reflectors. (Taillights are not totally sealed.)
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would just get a color that looks the same red as stock thru the lens. Put the new bulb on one side, old on the other and see how it looks.

You can get 3000k LEDs (warm white)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/115...xp=mtr#ht_1556wt_899

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock