3800 SC Wrap Up by Merlinhaggard
Started on: 04-20-2014 07:49 PM
Replies: 19 (586 views)
Last post by: Merlinhaggard on 04-26-2014 07:07 PM
Merlinhaggard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im getting close. Just installed my Rodney Dickman clutch and it bled in a second. I jacked with the old one for ever.

My 3800 is running but wont hold idle. Just dies. With a little gas on the pedal it runs nicely.

The fan always runs. The water in the radiator wasnt hot. I removed the thermostat.Temp gauge was running up towards 260 and I shut it off. Dont know if is really was hot??

I used a Fiero Flyer harness and PCM.

I have no oil pressure. On the gauge. Not getting a signal I guess.

Getting close. Only a few more bugs and I think Im done. Ive received a lot of help on the forum, thanks a lot everyone!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take out the IAC, hold back the spring and spin the pintle into the IAC a ways but not all the way. (Most but not all IACs will do this). Inspect the IAC hole for carbon. Reinstall. The engine should run at fast idle for a while and then the computer should bring the idle speed to target. If not the computer is not controlling the IAC correctly. It could be a jammed IAC, crap in the IAC hole that keeps the pintle from moving, bad IAC, bad computer, or bad wiring between the computer and IAC.

If FF wired for the 3800 oil pressure sender, and the sender that was on the 3800 was for a light, then the gauge should have read zero until the engine was started and then should have pegged past high. If it does this the fix is to replace the sender with a sender from an 88 Fiero.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-20-2014).]

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Ill be looking up what an IAC is. I did install an 88 pressure sender and I get zero on the gauge. Any idea of why my fan runs when I turn the key on without starting the motor.

I got a PCM from Dan "Fiero Flyer" and I had idle but had the fan problem, pressure problem and temp problem. He sent me a new PCM and now I have no idle. Ill put the old PCM back in and see if I get idle, then Ill know if its the PCM.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW, Dan sold me a really "really" nice harness for a very fair price. He has always worked with me and is a nice guy. I know this stuff is tricky and I just need to work through it..
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fan running when you turn the key to on could be that your A/C is turned on.

Oil pressure - You are saying the pressure is at zero. Sounds odd. The oil pressure gauge would show zero if the wire is connected to ground. Let's start with this. Key on unplug the oil pressure sender. Does it go to past high? It should. If not look at bad wiring. If it does then look to see if the oil pressure sender is working correctly.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-20-2014).]

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff. Ill do that asap.. Thanks a lot..
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the AC and it is of and th radiator fan is still running with the key on.

When I turn the key to on, the oil pressure gauge comes up to zero. But then nothing. I disconnected the sensor ad it pegged out. Reconnected the sensor and back to zero.

I know I got an 88 sensor..

[This message has been edited by Merlinhaggard (edited 04-22-2014).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I would do "For Sure", is install a "T" at the oil sender and hook up a "Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge" ! just to make sure that you DO have oil pressure
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gauge being effected by unplugging the sender means the wires are ok so only thing left is the sensor or the gauge itself which I doubt the gauge is bad.
You can move the fan control wire with its pin from C1 pin 6 to pin 5 to see if that shuts off the fan or check to see if there the green wire at the fan relay is grounded or not as this is where the PCM sends the ground to turn on the fan and trace back from there to the C500 connector.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did install a 90 on the sensor so it would clear. Cant remember what I was trying to clear but remember that the sensor was too long to screw right in. Could the 90 be the problem? As far as the fan, I dont know what pins mean. Ill search on that.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pins on the PCM connector they are numbered 1 through 80
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 90 on the sensor isn't going to be the problem. It really sounds like the sender is for a light and not a gauge. Try this - Go to Radio Shack and but a 1/2 w or 1/4 w 47 ohm resistor - http://www.radioshack.com/p...sp?productId=2062313

Ground the gauge wire through the resistor. If the gauge reads about mid scale then your gauge is working correctly. It would then have to be the sender.

If you want I can send you a 47 ohm resistor in the mail - paypal me $1.00 to gofast@reddevilriver.com and I will send you one.
PFF
System Bot
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its possible I didnt get an 88 fiero sender. Is that for sure what I need? This is what I got...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air...em46134a1070&vxp=mtr
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sending unit is the one for a gauge. Did you connect it correctly? The oil pressure gauge wire (Tan) from C203 pin E should run to the center pin of the sending unit. The two outside pins are for the fuel pump relay back up switch.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any thoughts about the temp gauge? It started going up and I shut the engine off at 260. The water in the radiator wasnt hot. Do I need a different temp sender? I put a sender in it...
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thermostat controls the temperature of the engine. Take it out and see what happens.
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already removed it. I think the sender is wrong. The gauge is slowly running up really high and I know the engine isnt hot.
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
High temps when engine is not is usually air trapped in the system and the gauge is reading steam not fluid
Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the t-stat out, how can I burp it or get it right?
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which thermostat housing did you use, the 3800's or the Fiero's? Ogre's cave has a good write up on the proper burping method.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/coolfill.htm

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 04-26-2014).]

Merlinhaggard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MerlinhaggardSend a Private Message to MerlinhaggardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are awesome. I just did the phonedawgz IAC procedure and I have perfect idle. Thanks so much.

Now Im down to:

No oil pressure on gauge. I looked at the connector and there are 2 wires. 1 is Black and white and the other is tan. Only 2 wires. Could they be switched? Remember, I disconnected the sensor and the gauge pegged out.

The motor is dying on me. It ran forever and died, I thinkk it might have been due to temp. I was burping it and when the temp would get high, it would die. But then I had the temp stabalized and it started dying.

Im guessing its a code. Can I get a code reader? Or does anyone have other ideas?

I think I got the coolant system full. The water is flowing from the passenger side to the drivers side. Is that the right direction?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock