2.5 tensioner pulley by Dotrenrew
Started on: 04-20-2014 02:43 PM
Replies: 8 (796 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 04-22-2014 10:59 AM
Dotrenrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have searched the threads and I can't find anything on a tensioner pulley for an 84 duke. I go through alternator belts about every 1000-1500 miles. I believe my pulleys are good, but there is no tensioner pulley on this car. The alternator belt looks to bounce all over the place while the motor runs. Sometimes it slips at start up and sometimes it doesn't.

Is it possible to put a tensioner pulley on an 84 duke?

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no.
something is wrong.
Too tight/lose
pulley alignment
bad pulley(s)
contaminated oil/dirt
bearings WP and/or alt bad

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-20-2014).]

OziDarklighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OziDarklighterSend a Private Message to OziDarklighterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read that even little chunks of previous belts could be throwing it off. So check the pulley's for debris, from different angles.

I'm curious to hear what your issue is, I constantly have problems with my belt coming off (always at the worst time!). I know it's really frustrating.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:
The alternator belt looks to bounce all over the place while the motor runs. Sometimes it slips at start up and sometimes it doesn't.
Is it possible to put a tensioner pulley on an 84 duke?

How do you get the belt on? You should be loosening the alternator & pivoting it toward the engine. When the belt is on, you pivot the alternator to tighten the belt, then tighten the alternator mounting bolts.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 04-21-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When replacing any part of the system that the belt runs on, verify that the pulley that comes with it has the same number of grooves as the original. This is especially true with the alternator, since it usually comes with a pulley already attached. So many times I've had to have the parts store remove and swap pulleys between the old and new, and this applies to other vehicles beside the Fiero. The alternators fit several applications and have different pulley widths, usually 4 or 5 grooves. A 4-groove pulley on a Fiero will quickly destroy the belt.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

When replacing any part of the system that the belt runs on, verify that the pulley that comes with it has the same number of grooves as the original. This is especially true with the alternator, since it usually comes with a pulley already attached. So many times I've had to have the parts store remove and swap pulleys between the old and new, and this applies to other vehicles beside the Fiero. The alternators fit several applications and have different pulley widths, usually 4 or 5 grooves. A 4-groove pulley on a Fiero will quickly destroy the belt.

84 has v-belts so there are no grooves.

I have the same problem. My Indy has eaten more belts than I can remember. I had a 90 mile ride home on the flat bed because of that. Something is out of alignment and I have yet to figure it out. I wish there was a serpentine belt upgrade available. I HATE v-belts. Actually I hate all belts, don't know why we're still using rubber belts for critical engine functions, why not gears?
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84' SE has a new belt installed by the previous owner. Always squeals at startup, though it seems to more once I drop it in gear, then a few seconds later it stops.
The squeal sounds more like it's coming from one of the pulleys, I suspect the alternator as it A. looks original B. I get voltage drop at idle.

So I plan to replace it with the newer CS series anyway.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

My 84' SE has a new belt installed by the previous owner. Always squeals at startup, though it seems to more once I drop it in gear, then a few seconds later it stops.
The squeal sounds more like it's coming from one of the pulleys, I suspect the alternator as it A. looks original B. I get voltage drop at idle.

So I plan to replace it with the newer CS series anyway.

Get a quality belt, like Gator or similar. Also properly tension the belt.
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Get a quality belt, like Gator or similar. Also properly tension the belt.

It's a Gates I think. I'll check it when the engine is dropped in a few weeks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock