Firebird Radio Wiring by rbell2915
Started on: 04-18-2014 08:11 PM
Replies: 7 (386 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-22-2014 12:51 AM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, a fellow member had sent me a Pontiac radio, like the one in Firebirds. So I went to the junkyard and grabbed the connector for the radio out of a 1999 Bonneville.
I looked up the wiring diagram for it and I got this:

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
--------------
Unfortunately, there are:
3 Light Greens
3 Dark Greens
3 Browns
2 Yellows
2 Blacks
1 Blue
1 Gray
1 Tan
1 Orange
-------------
I don't know what to do because these are not matching up and there are so many wires of the same color, I don't want to fry my radio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------
-1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
*October 2, 2012
------------------

Don't climb for a lifetime only to fall short of infinity.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would help if you had the year for the radio or at least posted a picture of it and the connector. Around 2000 is when GM went to a bunch of different connectors and it may not work at all in a Fiero if it requires a CAN network connection.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this will help...

Edit to add: I cut off the LR channel

LR Chnl out (-) 19 YEL 116
LR Chnl out (+) 20 BRN 199

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 04-19-2014).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That pin #15 worries me. It's expecting serial data that could mean that if it doesn't hear from the Body control module it won't work.

You can try it by ignoring the colors and just match the functions and see what happens. I would power it up and see what happens. If it's locked, then it's locked and you sell it and buy a compatible one. Not sure because 1999 is right on the line but pretty much anything 2000+ won't work.

Most of those 90s radios are not functional at this point and require repair before they will work. If you are in love with the 90s look then I would suggest a refurbished one.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132538.html
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi! Sorry I was unable to reply earlier. Pretty busy day.
Anyway, I was able to use the diagram provided along with a connector pinout on ls1tech.com and now my raduo works like a charm! So much better than the garbage radio previously inside. The only problem is that sometimes the radio refuses to turn the volume down. Hopefully tomorrow I can find a remedy. Thank you all and Happy Easter! I will plus you all when I get home.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:
The only problem is that sometimes the radio refuses to turn the volume down. Hopefully tomorrow I can find a remedy. Thank you all and Happy Easter! I will plus you all when I get home.

Glad it works for you... The volume problem is a well known flaw of these radios. Unfortunately the only fix is to replace the volume board. I don't know if the volume board can be purchased separately but you might have to send it in for repair. Or just deal with it. I have one and I have to turn the knob about a hundred times to get it to go down sometimes.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Glad it works for you... The volume problem is a well known flaw of these radios. Unfortunately the only fix is to replace the volume board. I don't know if the volume board can be purchased separately but you might have to send it in for repair. Or just deal with it. I have one and I have to turn the knob about a hundred times to get it to go down sometimes.

Thank you! And last night, I took the volume knob off of the radio and sprayed some electronic cleaner on it and let it dry overnight. When I tested it in the morning, the volume was actually manageable and accurate although sometimes it does mess up. I do suppose that it will take a few nights of cleaning to become fully functional again.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Thank you! And last night, I took the volume knob off of the radio and sprayed some electronic cleaner on it and let it dry overnight. When I tested it in the morning, the volume was actually manageable and accurate although sometimes it does mess up. I do suppose that it will take a few nights of cleaning to become fully functional again.

Hopefully the cleaner will allow it to be manageable. Used to be electronics lasted forever, but when they switched to the lead free solder that shortened the life of components. And throughout the 90s they used cheap capacitors that eventually leak and the boards eventually stop working. Cleaner is not going to fix those issues, but if the potentiometer is dirty (and they all are) the cleaner will help a little.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock