Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need to lower front end '87 thoughts on air struts??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need to lower front end '87 thoughts on air struts?? by IanT720
Started on: 04-18-2014 12:00 PM
Replies: 4 (161 views)
Last post by: IanT720 on 04-18-2014 07:47 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I've always hated how high my car rides, especially with the 18's. When I did my 3800sc swap I cut a coil off the rears, and it came out pretty good, however that made the nose even higher! I need got a chance to play with the front end, the car had hidden frame damage... Anyhow I'm transplanting my drive train into an 87 GT I bought, and I want to do the front end right. The car will be a nice weather DD, but daily driver none the less. Also some track days mixed in. I wouldn't say it's a budget build but it's I'm 19 and still have school to pay eventually build aha. A good chunk of the money is headed towards the turbo swap and paint or vinyl wrap. My thoughts were to just cut the fronts, 2 coils? But then with Michigan roads I'm undecided... Option 2 would be 1 coil, and 1" drop BJ.... I'm not talking slammed but I want to be able to fit only a couple fingers in the wheel well. But that is low. So ive heard about using air shocks from the rear of c3-4? Vette's, just to bring the nose up if I have too. Keep in mind I'm building a splitter or chin spoiler too. Spindles are to expensive, and coil overs too. I want a good drop to drive normal, or a way to raise it if I have too. Also alignment concerns? I would need a camber correcting upper BJ right?

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone asked the exact same question last month.
Look here for posts: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/068561.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I've searched around a lot but only found old archive posts, guess I missed it!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happen to have air struts on the front of my 87 Mera but installed them for the exact opposite reason that you specified. I initially used a Fiero Store lowering kit on my vehicle and that resulted in scraping the bottom of the car just to get out of my driveways, some filling stations, and other uneven surfaces. I now use my air struts to raise the vehicle when necessary and avoid undercarriage damage.

Nelson
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I happen to have air struts on the front of my 87 Mera but installed them for the exact opposite reason that you specified. I initially used a Fiero Store lowering kit on my vehicle and that resulted in scraping the bottom of the car just to get out of my driveways, some filling stations, and other uneven surfaces. I now use my air struts to raise the vehicle when necessary and avoid undercarriage damage.

Nelson

Haha that is the exact reason I want air shocks^ I want to lower it a lot, but have the ability to raise it a tad just in case

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock