Tire wear by ultimoblaze
Started on: 04-17-2014 11:22 PM
Replies: 12 (215 views)
Last post by: KillerFrogg on 04-18-2014 11:32 AM
ultimoblaze

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ultimoblazeSend a Private Message to ultimoblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've noticed after about 14k miles on a new set of tires that I'm getting a lot of wear on the outer edge of both rears. I haven't done the alignment since I got the car and wanted to get an idea of possible causes beforehand. I have stock rears all around (215/60/15). I didn't check, but I'm assuming camber is not adjustable so if my alignment tells me it is positive camber something is wrong. Could toe in or out cause wear just on the outer edges of both rears? I don't autocross or race or drive aggressively, but I do occasionally drive spiritedly. I wouldn't expect occasional spirited driving to wear the tires so much.

While on the subject of tires, does anybody have any recommendations? Stock wheels and occasional daily driver duty with the possibility to see snow.

Thanks,
Ultimoblaze
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ultimoblaze:

I'm assuming camber is not adjustable...

Not correct.
ultimoblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ultimoblazeSend a Private Message to ultimoblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camber is adjustable stock? That's fantastic. I guess I can just get it on a rack and problem solved!
KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like excessive toe in. The front edge of the tire is is being scrubbed off since the car is trying to push it under the rest of the tire.

My car has the same issue, but since its engine is on a stand, I have not gotten around to getting the alignment dealt with. The outside is nearly bald, but the inside has normal tread wear.

You didnt mention it, but depending on the age of the inner/outer tie rod ends, you many want to check them for play as well.
ultimoblaze

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ultimoblazeSend a Private Message to ultimoblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KillerFrogg:

The outside is nearly bald, but the inside has normal tread wear.

You didnt mention it, but depending on the age of the inner/outer tie rod ends, you many want to check them for play as well.

That is what mine are starting to do, the outer edges are worn into the wear indicators already and the rest of the tire looks to be well above 50% remaining tread.

I got the car at 58k and put 14k on it. I'll assume nobody changed it before me and I haven't changed them either, but I remember checking for wheel play the last time I had it in the air for the oil change. I'll make sure to check again before paying for the alignment.
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I check for wheel bearing/tie rod play on my cars probably more often than I should, but the roads where I am at in Michigan chew those parts to pieces, especially so with the potholes this last winter opened up.

With about 70k on it, I would not expect them to be bad, but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

And yes, with camber, if you have FACTORY stock struts, it is not adjustable. But if they have ever been replaces, then one of the holes for the strut to knuckle bolts will most likely be slotted, allowing camber adjustment.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And yes, with camber, if you have FACTORY stock struts, it is not adjustable.

I'll have to question that.

Any Fiero that I've worked on (84's to 88's), including ones which appeared to still have the original struts installed, had adjustable camber in the rear (as well as in the front).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-18-2014).]

KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just pulled my factory manual out, and yeah, you were right, factory originals were slotted as well. The factory front is as well, with the upper ball joint having its mounting holes offset so that depending on how it goes in you get + - a degree or two or something at the wheel.

moral of the story, there is adjustment =)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....and yeah, you were right

Score one for the old Toad over the Frogg.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Camber is adjustable stock? That's fantastic. I guess I can just get it on a rack and problem solved!

Get cam bolts to make adjustment easier. Just remove bottom bolts.

See my Cave, Strut & Shock

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep just about every used car i have bought needed an alignment. Its one of those thing if a guy wants tires to last and proper handling. Anyone reading this if you havent had your car aligned since you owned it, it needs it.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

That is what mine are starting to do, the outer edges are worn into the wear indicators already and the rest of the tire looks to be well above 50% remaining tread.

I got the car at 58k and put 14k on it. I'll assume nobody changed it before me and I haven't changed them either, but I remember checking for wheel play the last time I had it in the air for the oil change. I'll make sure to check again before paying for the alignment.

You could have a tire place flip it on the rim to wear down the other side (unless its directional). But thats kind of riggin it
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

You could have a tire place flip it on the rim to wear down the other side (unless its directional). But thats kind of riggin it

Wasn't doing to say anything, but totally my plan too once mine is driving again. Then you just put what was the left of the right, and vise versa, and the tread wear is reversed but the rolling direction isn't.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock