Monroe Struts ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 04-16-2014 04:16 PM
Replies: 14 (298 views)
Last post by: NetCam on 04-17-2014 05:48 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
every AD I see for Monroe struts, the picture shows ALOT of extra "Bracketry" on the strut and no holes for mounting on the bottom. Am I seeing a "generic picture", Or are monroes made completely different ? already Bought KYBs, but just wondering.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generic pics
I installed monroes on multiple fieros and they fit like OEM.
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't mention what year or gt or notch, but here is a pic of the ones I installed on my 87 last year
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's them ! whats with the huge brackets ?
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had monroes and KYBs - liked the KYBs much better . I think you did good.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They must have changed part numbers and consolidated across a few different cars.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

that's them ! whats with the huge brackets ?

Not sure could not figure that out must be a one size fits ( or not ) all.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing a grinder couldn't fix (just keep the metal cool as you grind away the excess).

My guess is that multiple cars use the same strut design, but the Fiero doesn't use the bracket (maybe sway bar??).
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same struts, and I really don't like how close those brackets are to my tires. I thought of cutting them off, but wondered if they were part of the structural design to support the springs.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
71814 monroe is listed for 84-88 pontiac fiero - all engine ONLY
no other models comeup in the buyers guide.... sooo, next guess on the funky brackets? lol
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

71814 monroe is listed for 84-88 pontiac fiero - all engine ONLY
no other models comeup in the buyers guide.... sooo, next guess on the funky brackets? lol

Interesting. I wish I had my old boxes, so I could look up the number. Anyway.... this is a good question for Monroe

The design looks to be for a swaybar attachment point.

PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what's used on the Phoenix, Citation etc. of the same era. Seeing as the Fiero rear came from the front of those cars, maybe there was a purpose there.

Edit: Checked Rock Auto, and the Phoenix struts don't have the bracket. The plot thickens.........

Fiero:

Phoenix:

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 04-17-2014).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking about this... I am guessing the bottom part fits a Fiero and other vehicles, and the strut valving is for multiple vehicles.... so when they put the two together, you have a parts-bin strut that is specific to one vehicle.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

I really don't like how close those brackets are to my tires. I thought of cutting them off, but wondered if they were part of the structural design to support the springs.

Same , and I am looking at new tires for my 14 inch rims and in a raised white letter to match originals , cooper only has a 215/70
which is bigger and wider so I am afraid it will rub on the strut.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by endallville:

Same , and I am looking at new tires for my 14 inch rims and in a raised white letter to match originals , cooper only has a 215/70
which is bigger and wider so I am afraid it will rub on the strut.

14" rims? Those are pretty wide, I imagine they'll rub up against pretty much everything

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock