Started on: 04-16-2014 10:15 AM
Replies: 21 (563 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 04-18-2014 09:40 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I read where on the 4.9 you just reverse the valve covers and you are good to go, but I was just recently reading on Fiero Factory`s site about one won`t fit because of hitting the hinge bracket.
Any thoughts?
I`m picking up a 92 Deville engine this weekend and I will be picking people`s brains for info I can`t find.
Thanks, Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped mine around, and either way, the passenger hinge needs a little trimming, about an inch will do it

Arn
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I swapped mine around, and either way, the passenger hinge needs a little trimming, about an inch will do it

Arn

Thanks, Arn
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the valve covers on the 4.9 features a clearanced area for mounting the power steering pump. Use two of those, one on each bank and no trimming is needed to the passenger hinge box.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-17-2014).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

One of the valve covers on the 4.9 features a clearanced area for mounting the power steering pump. Use two of those, one one each bank and no trimming is needed to the passenger hinge box.

I may go that route if I can find another. The less cutting I have to do probably the better.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you mount the engine low enough, you don't need to trim the hinge box at all for either valve cover.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of the valve covers on the 4.9 features a clearanced area for mounting the power steering pump. Use two of those, one one each bank and no trimming is needed to the passenger hinge box.

??

When the valve cover with the cutout is on the rear bank the cut out is towards the drivers side.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just dry-fit my 4.9 on the weekend. I have the swapped covers and you can see the interference in the pic below...

I plan on grinding the corner of the hinge bracket to make it fit.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If you mount the engine low enough, you don't need to trim the hinge box at all for either valve cover.

Here are a couple of pictures where my last install cleared the stock hinge box with the tall valve cover:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 04-16-2014).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don`t know how low I can mount the engine as I am using WCF front engine mount and probably Rodney`s poly 5-speed mounts.
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't look like trimming the hinge really makes it weak or anything. just notch it, sand cut smooth and paint it. Easy fix and if done nice would look stock.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I don`t know how low I can mount the engine as I am using WCF front engine mount and probably Rodney`s poly 5-speed mounts.

I used custom engine side mounts and modified the stock transmission mount brackets (using factory rubber mounts) to lower the drivetrain about 1". If you have a getrag, there is a member in the mall selling transmission brackets to lower the Getrag 1"
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I used custom engine side mounts and modified the stock transmission mount brackets (using factory rubber mounts) to lower the drivetrain about 1". If you have a getrag, there is a member in the mall selling transmission brackets to lower the Getrag 1"

I have a FWD Getrag.
Do you know if it uses the same mounting points as a Fiero specific Getrag?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

??

When the valve cover with the cutout is on the rear bank the cut out is towards the drivers side.

Correct. When using two of the clearanced covers (4.9 PFI) the area on the front bank is under the hinge box.
Actually, the front bank cover stays in place and another one is installed on the rear bank for easy access to the oil cap and for cosmetics.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18196 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Neils88:

Just dry-fit my 4.9 on the weekend. I have the swapped covers and you can see the interference in the pic below...

I plan on grinding the corner of the hinge bracket to make it fit.

If you had left the front bank cover in place, and used another front bank cover on the rear bank, no modification is needed.
To be clear, the front bank cover has 4.9 PFI cast in to the surface, and the oil fill cap.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a FWD Getrag.
Do you know if it uses the same mounting points as a Fiero specific Getrag?

The FWD Getrag will accept the stock Fiero Getrag transmission mounts or the aftermarket ones as well.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you had left the front bank cover in place, and used another front bank cover on the rear bank, no modification is needed.
To be clear, the front bank cover has 4.9 PFI cast in to the surface, and the oil fill cap.

I wasn't worried about it. Once I get the engine running correctly and properly tuned, I'm starting the Murcielago body kit installation. As such the car gets stretched and the old hinge brackets aren't used.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Perhaps others will find the information useful.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I found is that the rubber mounts are problematic in terms of the exhaust flex from the torque movement.

I used solid mounts that I fabbed up on the front and then I fabricated steel spacers from 2" box steel to replace the rubber on the transmission mounts.

The cradle mounts flex some so the vibration is very small in the cab.

I have the exhaust pretty well hard mounted with just those short heavy rubber jointers on the hangers

Arn
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

What I found is that the rubber mounts are problematic in terms of the exhaust flex from the torque movement.

I used solid mounts that I fabbed up on the front and then I fabricated steel spacers from 2" box steel to replace the rubber on the transmission mounts.

The cradle mounts flex some so the vibration is very small in the cab.

I have the exhaust pretty well hard mounted with just those short heavy rubber jointers on the hangers

Arn

I thought that I would go with all poly and an adjustable poly dogbone, speaking of which did you guys fabricate a dogbone mounted to the cradle or use the existing mount on the trunk wall.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-18-2014).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

speaking of which did you guys fabricate a dogbone mounted to the cradle or use the existing mount on the trunk wall.

I used a spare 88 lateral link as the dogbone from the head down to the cradle.

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I used a spare 88 lateral link as the dogbone from the head down to the cradle.

That looks good, holds it nice and steady.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock