Grand Am swap, quick question... by TriumphFetish
Started on: 04-15-2014 07:17 PM
Replies: 9 (417 views)
Last post by: TriumphFetish on 04-21-2014 08:46 AM
TriumphFetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, I'm doing a complete suspension rebuild and grand am brake up grade this weekend. I just took a close look at the brake pads the thickness of the pads are different.
I've never seen anything like this before. Is this a normal 87 Grand Am thing? (Used same year as my Fiero to make it easy on my old mind).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right off the top of my head I would say they have a longer travel of the calipers than the Fiero has, so they need thicker pads. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-15-2014).]

TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not saying there is a difference between the grand am pads and the Fiero pads. I'm saying a new pair of grand am pads for a given caliper, one pad has twice the thickness of it's matching pad.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TriumphFetish:

Hey all, I'm doing a complete suspension rebuild and grand am brake up grade this weekend. I just took a close look at the brake pads the thickness of the pads are different.
I've never seen anything like this before. Is this a normal 87 Grand Am thing? (Used same year as my Fiero to make it easy on my old mind).

From what I remember, I think you need the grand am rotors too. Did you use a C-Clamp to compress the brake caliper piston? You allso need to remove the cover on he brake fluid resivoure,so the piston will compress easyer.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or...are the pads literally different thicknesses. Were they ever opened before? Perhaps you received a warranty set by accident?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On every set of Grand Am brake pads I've bought, the inboard pad was always thicker than the outboard pad. I'm not sure why. But it never caused me any problems.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blacktree, and everyone else for the replies.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

On every set of Grand Am brake pads I've bought, the inboard pad was always thicker than the outboard pad. I'm not sure why. But it never caused me any problems.

Typical GM brake system... they are expecting the calipers to seize and the inboard pad to do all the work... LOL

This is a joke... kind of...
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

From what I remember, I think you need the grand am rotors too. Did you use a C-Clamp to compress the brake caliper piston? You allso need to remove the cover on he brake fluid resivoure,so the piston will compress easyer.

There is a kit for the brake piston work that you can rent from the loan a tool at various auto supply places. It allows you to turn in the piston. On the Grand Am caliper it is not critical, but if you use the Seville caliper on the back it is critical because you have to set your ebrake lever correctly. (about 1 turn from bottom dead center)

Hope this helps

Arn

------------------

TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. I was only able to complete the engine cradle bushings, all the control arm bushings and new shocks and struts. Man were they shot. Had to cut out the lower control arm bolts out with a cutting wheel. Had to cut the frame to get to the cradle nut plates. Good news though, the rear frame rails are in better shape than a mid 80's car from the rust belt should be in, so I was happy to see that. I can't believe how much better the car rides and handles. I scared myself with how fast this thing will change lanes now. I'm in love all over again. I will probably do the brake swap the first weekend in May. I an currently just doing the four corner GA swap. But seriously considered the Seville calipers. The cost and potential (future) availability made me stick with the GA calipers on all four corners.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock