1985 Fiero Aux Gauge Issues by nightscar
Started on: 04-14-2014 08:26 PM
Replies: 8 (617 views)
Last post by: nightscar on 04-22-2014 12:17 PM
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
Having a few issues with the Aux gauge cluster I installed today.
My 1985 fiero did not have the wire harness so I used this site:
http://www.frontiernet.net/...tt/AuxGageInstal.htm

to do the installation.
I spliced one wire at a time using the diagram and made sure everything was tight and good.
When I plug in my aux gauges and turn the key to on, the batter shows about 13-14 Volts, with the dummy light "volt" on.
and the oil needle doesn't move it stays at zero and no dummy light.

Now the interesting part and my issue.
When I start the car, the battery reads about 18 volts in the red, and the dummy light "volt" stays on.
and the oil needle pegs off the scale to the right, with no dummy light.

I do not know if I messed up the wiring?
if the Aux gauge cluster is bad..
I did a little research and didn't really find anything as far as a test for these gauges ..
I know my oil sending unit is good, because my fiero originally came with a oil gauge on the tach, which I replaced with this one:

So.. I am kinda stuck on where to go from hear..
any ideas?
Thank you for any info
Nightscar

------------------
My 1985 Fiero GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Selfish Bump

No suggestions?
Should I get a new Aux gauge cluster?
Could the oil gauge peg because of a ground/short somewhere?

Should I remove the (Tan) wire from the C206(C3) connector .. and have it only go to the Aux gauge?

Is the "volt" light on because the needle is in the red at 18?

I guess The 1st thing I should do is go back in and make sure all my wires match up:

Alt lamp (brown) - Pin 6
12V (pink/black) - Pin 9
Oil pressure ( Tan) - Pin 17
Inst light (gray) - Pin 15
Ground (black) - Pin 11

If they do then .. ya I dunno haha
Midn1ght Driv3r

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midn1ght Driv3rSend a Private Message to Midn1ght Driv3rEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm no expert but here's my understanding. At infinite resistance or open ground the oil will peg all the way to the right. So you might not have a good connection in the back of the cluster or a broken wire somewhere along the line.

Have you checked the output of the alternator to make sure it's not 18v? That's extremely high and unlikely but you never know. I would say because it is reading that high that the VOLT light would come on
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found with the volt gauge in the Aux cluster when you turn the key to the on position the needle should only go up about 1/3 scale, if it goes above that I would tale a volt meter and measure the voltage at pin 9. I would also check ohms at pin 17, with the engine off it should read 0, start the car and it should read 20 to 60 (in that range) and if it is above 90 something is wrong. On the alternator, did you pul the "dummy lamp" out of the main gauge cluster? You should only have one dummy lamp.

Hope this helps.

Jack
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ty guys very much for your replies.
I have not tested my voltage off my alternator yet.. but if it is 18V .. I may need to get a lower amp alternator.. I recently bought the car so not sure what is modified on it or what is jimmy rigged so :/
And as far as the oil I will use your recommendations and see what kinda readings I get
Thank you again.
I kinda knew where to start with the volt meter issue .. but had no clue where to begin with for the oil lol
And no i did not pull the lamp of the dummy light out of the main cluster .. think thats mabey why the light is on?

[This message has been edited by nightscar (edited 04-16-2014).]

Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you measure 18V at the alternator, you don't need a lower amp alternator. You need a new voltage regulator (located on the alternator) or you need a new alternator. I added the aux cluster to my 85 SE V6 and switched out the tach and speedometer to the later style as well, but had no issues finding the correct wires. I did fully remove the dash though, since I was restoring the interior, so finding the right wires wasn't hard.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

If you measure 18V at the alternator, you don't need a lower amp alternator. You need a new voltage regulator (located on the alternator) or you need a new alternator. I added the aux cluster to my 85 SE V6 and switched out the tach and speedometer to the later style as well, but had no issues finding the correct wires. I did fully remove the dash though, since I was restoring the interior, so finding the right wires wasn't hard.

O ok, ty for the tip
and Ya I fully removed the dash myself as well, as soon as it gets nice out again I'll have to test the alternator see what kinda volts its putting out.
and as far as the oil .. will have to check the connection and see .. could be a break in the line in the wire harness itself that came with the aux gauge..
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,
as an update i check the volts coming off my alternator with a volt gauge today,
it read only 14-15 volts.
so I dunno if that means my aux gauge is bad? the needle needs to be pulled off replaced..
going to go threw the wires tomorrow and check for any loose ends or breaks.

What do you guys think?
nightscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Donno if anyone is out there reading this but :P
I got my aux gauges to work finally.
but now when I use my blinkers the gas gauge goes towards E.. and past... ya I know weird lol
and my blinker lights are very dim....

I think I know whats wrong.. the wires you splice into, I totally disconnected them from the main plug that goes to the back of my main cluster panel..
I think thats ok to do that with just the oil.. but the rest needs to be connected back to the main plug .. I think
I'm getting really good at tearing my dash down though lol

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock