Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Best way to externally clean a transmission and engine?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best way to externally clean a transmission and engine? by Purple86GT
Started on: 04-14-2014 05:36 AM
Replies: 12 (408 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 04-15-2014 11:34 AM
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my 3800 out and the F23 sitting on my garage floor. Just wondering what is the best way to clean them up and look like new without using chemicals harsh enough to cause any bearing or component damage?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Simple Green and a power washer. A wire brush for caked up nooks and crannies. Wrap plastic bag around throttle body and distributor. If you have exhaust ports open, stuff plastic bags into the top of the openings. I blow it dry with my air compressor. Air dry is fine if you dont have air. This is all JUST for cleaning it externally.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Engine degreaser" and not the foamy stuff, the reg stuff works better.
I have done well over 50 engines this way.

Edit to say follow his ^^^ directions, but use degreaser not simple green, that stuf is just weak and crap.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 04-14-2014).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oven cleaner and foaming bathroom cleaner (get the super cheap, no-name products) are excellent- if you are planning to repaint stuff. Stiff brushes and lots of elbow grease help a lot.
Joseph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JosephSend a Private Message to JosephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Meguiars Engine Cleaner:

Product number: G14816

It easily removed all the grease/dirt and didn't damage the rubber and plastic areas because it is a non-caustic chemical.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oven cleaner?? Humm.... This might work…

I have some mean green, it doesn't seem strong enough. I do have an air compressor etc..

Once clean, is it worth painting or spraying on a high temp clear? Or will that affect heat dissipation?
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
steam!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old gasoline melts the grease build off easily. After that, purple power degreaser or such works much better. If painting the block, be sure to rinse and dry, then wipe down with Stoddard solvent followed by a good spray down with brake cleaner.
Transmissions the same, to brighten the aluminum case, spray on oven cleaner works well. Again, good rinsing in a must.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
Oven cleaner and foaming bathroom cleaner (get the super cheap, no-name products) are excellent- if you are planning to repaint stuff. Stiff brushes and lots of elbow grease help a lot.

Be careful, many Oven cleaner formulas can attack plastic, electric, and aluminum parts.

Pressure washers can cause problems too. Weather Pack and Metri-pack is Not pressure resistance and worse, water etc push into a connection by washers then the seal will keep water in the connection. If you don't have problems right after using them, days or weeks later and car won't run and have to check every connector.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-14-2014).]

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen simple green eat through a steel drum over time. If you have access to a steam cleaner(kerosene heated power washer), that will make short work of grime and grease. Just be cafeful.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do NOT use oven cleaner, you asked the Best way," Pressurized STEAM", second engine degreaser and a pressure washer.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph:

I like Meguiars Engine Cleaner:

Product number: G14816

It easily removed all the grease/dirt and didn't damage the rubber and plastic areas because it is a non-caustic chemical.

What stores carry this product? I looked at a few auto parts stores online, and even Meguiars site says no results near Minneapolis. it looks like what I would like to use.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

"Engine degreaser" and not the foamy stuff, the reg stuff works better.
I have done well over 50 engines this way.

Edit to say follow his ^^^ directions, but use degreaser not simple green, that stuf is just weak and crap.

Always worked fine for me . I do my show car engines with it and theyre clean enough to eat off of.

When ever I got a new car that I was going to show, I always sprayed the whole thing down except hoses with heat proof clear. Works especially well on alloy engine parts that get the crappy white powder residue on them. My Mustang and Magnum looked better than they did in the showrooms when I sold them. Once it starts though, the clear dont do much good. You could do what a friend did with his Pantera. He had an all aluminum engine in it. He had the complete engine and transmission case polished to look like chrome....then cleared it. It was very expensive though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock