Hypertech chips by notaguru
Started on: 04-13-2014 10:43 PM
Replies: 15 (984 views)
Last post by: racingfortheson on 04-16-2014 04:14 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This '88GT has 40k miles on it, but spent most of its life stored in the sun. I'm reviving it, bit by bit.

Engine now runs fine, but I'd really like more HP without swapping engines, nitrous, etc. What's the story on the modified ECU chips - like Hypertech?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to know too. I've heard that they do absolutely nothing, but from others I've also heard they add 10 hp.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They add up to 7 degs timing at WOT at the upper end of the RPM band. I have a bunch I have looked over the code and thats all they do.
there is no other code change in the chip.
I'll sell you one or a copy of one if you want. I have the 85 one and 86-88 ones.
Straight no BS that is what they do.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't really expect a miracle. Decades ago my Grand National had a selectable chip box. When I loaded up with 115 octane at the airport and switched to the aggressive chip (it did other things with boost and shift points) the car got under 11 seconds. With the stock chip and ordinary premium fuel, 13 seconds. So 20 years ago I learned that a well-designed chip can be beneficial, if combined with octane.

I had hoped that today's Fiero chips went beyond that, but There's STILL No Such Thing as a Free Lunch.

THANKS!! And apparently it's nitrous for the occasional kick in the back...
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can do some free mods with a die grinder to get 10-15 more hp...

Remove your exhaust manifolds and cross-over pipe and on the manifolds, when you look in you'll see what to remove with the die-grinder.

With the cross-over, you'll have to cut it open where the 2 pipes become one and open up the D-crimped area.

On the intake side, the larger throttle bodies (56/57mm) have shown about a 1-3 hp gain on a 2.8 on a dyno.
You can also grind away a lot of that intake opening base support.
A lot of people cut out the water-separator on the intake tube that sits below that.

RodneyDickman.com also sells an underdrive crank-pulley that is good for 8 ft*lbs and 6rwhp on a dyno. I recommend the 88 alternator conversion at that same time though...as he does as well.

All in all, a well running 2.8 should dyno at 115 rwhp in 100% stock form and with these mods, you should be able to get it north of 130 rwhp.

You should definitely do a before and after dyno. You shouldn't need any ECM tuning to take advantage of this but the AFTER-dyno will tell you for sure.

Forum member 1fst2m6 dyno'd his 2.8 at 154rwhp but he also may have had a slightly larger exhaust ... but that's essentially your high-limit. You should be somewhere between 130 and 154 rwhp with those mods...which is much better than 115 rwhp...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-14-2014).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

I'd like to know too. I've heard that they do absolutely nothing, but from others I've also heard they add 10 hp.

I agree, I paid abot $80 and it really didn't do much but Idle faster. There wasn't much of any noticible diffrence in the HP. You could allways port your exhaust manifolds,but getting the bolts out with out breaking them is a pain. I wouldn't waste your cash...just my 2 cents.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are a waste of money if you don't have accompanying mods to make the retune worthwhile. A fully stock engine will just run rich with the Hypertech power chips.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your care an automatic or manual?

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

Is your care an automatic or manual?

My '88GT is auto.
But based on the experience of the group, it probably wouldn't make a difference.
<<looking for nitrous>>
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

They are a waste of money if you don't have accompanying mods to make the retune worthwhile. A fully stock engine will just run rich with the Hypertech power chips.

How does "it just adds up to 7 degs timing at WOT" make it run rich?
There is no fuel change in the chip.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

How does "it just adds up to 7 degs timing at WOT" make it run rich?
There is no fuel change in the chip.

ive heard lots of people report that the chips make the cars run rich... (a few have posted WBO2 logs to support their claims), maybe different chips?
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps increased timing raising the idle calls for more fuel, since the computer wasnt made for the chip, or added timing via a trick, it uses the engines sensors as best it can and determines too much fuel?
I dont know either.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-15-2014).]

Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
notaguru, you have a PM.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the chips are a waste of money unless you plan to drag race the Fiero there is no benefit untill you are running flat out WOT
you can swap the computer & get much better MPG & an increase in useable power
the porting of the fiero exhaust is mandatory for best performance
the stock Fiero exhaust manifold has a serious blockage
use only eastwood black or silver paint on Fiero headers & manifolds
when you replace your muffler use a Dynomax super turbo, (cut the old one off) this will be the #17730,,use hardware store turnbuckles & L brackets to mount with your springs. this is a close fit
,, the Borla is the best ,but more expensive & the folks at borla have been unresponsive
as to which Borla is best,,I found the Dyno max people extremely helpful,just have not gotten around to writting the Borla execs to help Fiero men & women
the Dyno max gives the fiero a boost in its mid to upper RPM range this included the duke 4
when the cat is removed the neck down helps the muffler perform ..always install your muffler at theoriginal location for best performance ,,never mount a muffler where the cat was this hurts performance gless packs hurt performance
the dyno max is quiet untill you press to the metal then it has a neato jet sound
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever your decision is, you allso need to remove the Hypertech chip for smog and reinstall the OEM chip. You can switch it back, after the smog test. Even then, the car could still fail smog,becuase it was running rich for a long period of time.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 04-16-2014).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ported my exhaust, added Thrush Muffler and roller rockers. It made such a difference. It was a whole new car. My first thought was, "This is what the car should have been like from the start."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock