Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  NEED TRANSMISSION HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEED TRANSMISSION HELP!!! PLEASE!!! by huracan2015
Started on: 04-13-2014 09:29 PM
Replies: 60 (976 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-28-2014 11:47 AM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site. My name is Josh and I'm 18 years old. I got a 1987 Fiero GT in Bright Blue Metallic as my first car back in August. It's got 93,000 miles on it, but is mechanically perfect. Everything possible has been replaced on the car, from brakes, suspension, everything. I am the 3rd owner, and it has been taken well care of in the past. It is a 3 speed automatic, and up until today, it has always functioned perfectly.

So here's my problem:
I took it up to Watkins Glen International today for opening weekend, since it's only about an hour away from where I live. I got on the track and ran 6 laps with Capital City Fiero Club from Michigan. They were pace laps, but we got up to 100 mph on the straightaways. On the third lap, all of the sudden the car felt weird. I could no longer go full throttle, and when I tried, my car slowed down a lot and the engine kept revving while coasting. I kept on going, and it got worse. Anyways, now that I'm home, I think I have an idea what is going on. The transmission no longer shifts into 2nd at 2500 RPM like it should, and now it shifts at 5000 RPM. Once I get past 20 mph, the car doesn't accelerate much until it pops into 2nd. It goes from 2nd to 3rd perfectly, but then when going full throttle to engage the passing gear, it slows down and slips. It will start coasting and revving until I release the gas, and it grabs the gear again.

I would appreciate all the help I could get, as I have a feeling this is a serious problem. PLEASE HELP AND THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the trans might need rebuilt. Maybe the clutch is burnt up, so it's slipping, or the valve body can't maintain pressure for some reason.

Have you checked the trans fluid? Does it smell burnt? Did the CEL/SES come on? Did you check to see what code was stored, if it did come on?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All fluids are fine, no bad smells, and I didn't know you could burn a clutch on an auto. It was fine before my laps, so do you think the stress from racing is what caused it? It's been a daily driver/show car for years, so it's never had that much stress put on it.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Oh and no, the light did not come on.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would upgrade your tranney to a Camaro. I beleave the Camaro is a 4 speed Automatic.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I would upgrade your tranney to a Camaro. I beleave the Camaro is a 4 speed Automatic.

I don't think it will fit.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no money, so I hope I don't need a new one.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Camaro is a REAR wheel drive Trans, a Fiero is a Front wheel drive Trans
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Camaro is a REAR wheel drive Trans, a Fiero is a Front wheel drive Trans

The Fiero is RWD though
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

All fluids are fine, no bad smells, and I didn't know you could burn a clutch on an auto. It was fine before my laps, so do you think the stress from racing is what caused it? It's been a daily driver/show car for years, so it's never had that much stress put on it.

Yes, you probably did put too much stress on the trans on the track. When was the last time you did a flush/fill on the trans? When was the filter replaced?

I'd like to tell you exactly what's wrong with the trans, but it sounds like you need to take it to Aamco or a trusted mechanic, who can pull the pan, and see what's actually wrong.
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Fiero is RWD though

If you're making a joke. Nice.

If you're not, technically yes you are correct, but it uses a front wheel drive trans axle.

PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TriumphFetish:

If you're making a joke. Nice.

If you're not, technically yes you are correct, but it uses a front wheel drive trans axle.

Yeah I wasn't joking. I'm trying to learn more about the car. So does that mean the transmisison is up front? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I honestly dont know.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I wasn't joking. I'm trying to learn more about the car. So does that mean the transmisison is up front? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I honestly dont know.

It's a FWD drivetrain, mounted in the rear of the car. The transmission is the same as the one used in all the mid-late 80s GM FWD cars, like the Cavalier. There are only some small differences, due to the Fiero being RWD.

The Camaro is front engined and rear wheel drive, with a longitudinal transmission. The FWD cars, and the Fiero, use a transverse transmission (or transaxle).
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please be careful if you take it to a shop, with as little you know about cars you are ripe to be taken advantage of.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. Thanks
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
So does anyone have an idea yet of what my problem is? Or should I just take it to get inspected? And how much would that cost?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Please be careful if you take it to a shop, with as little you know about cars you are ripe to be taken advantage of.

It doesn't matter. A quality trans rebuilt by a professional isn't going to be cheap. Diagnosis might be, but if it needs a rebuild, it won't be cheap. Aamco is probably going to be the cheapest, short of finding someone working out of their home doing such stuff, which is probably not the best way to go.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

So does anyone have an idea yet of what my problem is? Or should I just take it to get inspected? And how much would that cost?

Open the phone book, find the nearest Aamco (or whomever you would normally take it to for repairs), call them up, describe what your transmission is doing, and ask how much it would cost to diagnose the problem.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These transmissions (called the TH125) are plentiful....so it is often cheaper to find another one than to rebuild your broken one. Aamco can tell you that too.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Open the phone book, find the nearest Aamco (or whomever you would normally take it to for repairs), call them up, describe what your transmission is doing, and ask how much it would cost to diagnose the problem.

I'm thinking about taking it to this Corvette dealer by me. They service specialty cars, even Ferraris, so I'm sure they would treat it right. They've sold Fieros in the past too. Family owned for 50 years, I'm sure I can trust them.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wait a minute....................I thought you said you had no money...
PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just found out about that thing called the TV Cable. How do I adjust it?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Originally posted by Gall757:

wait a minute....................I thought you said you had no money...

If it's cheap enough to DIAGNOSE, I can probably borrow money from my grandparents.

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 04-14-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If it's cheap enough to DIAGNOSE, I can probably borrow money from my grandparents.

Those grandparents are great to have around. Well, don't assume that a Corvette shop is going to know much about a
Fiero. A lot of mechanics won't work on Fieros, complaining about the construction of the car, but it is really because they don't know what they are doing.
If they hesitate at all, take it to somebody who really likes the car. I had a transmission guy tell me to get the car off his property.....and he would not touch it.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone just told me to adjust the tv cable, so I just did some research on that. I know how to do it now, but the button is impossible to push. Any tips on how to free it up?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These transmissions (called the TH125) are plentiful....so it is often cheaper to find another one than to rebuild your broken one. Aamco can tell you that too.

I know some guys "old school" that dealt with AAMCO and said they'd bend you in a minute "sometimes less" and grin in your face at the same time. And its never a cheap fix even if a vac hose fell off the modulator valve.

You have to approach some of these people with extreme caution. And remember, the lack of knowledge is in direct proportion to the degree of the bend.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the TV cable were out of adjustment, the 2-3 shift would be off as well. It sounds like second gear is slipping , from what you're describing. I would suspect you managed to smoke the intermediate band, which would mean a full tear down and overhaul.
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what im hearing and as everyone else has said the transmission should definetly be rebuilt or what i would do is get a 4t65e transmission becuase there alot stronger have an overdrive witch means you'll get better gas milege and be at less rpm. Also the transmission bolts right up to the engine as well so its not a problem to install either. Bottom line would be to either get the 4t65e or get the 125c rebuilt. Also in an automatic there are clutches and friction disc and those start to wear and can start to slip and burn and then you will get premature failure. If the transmission hasen't been flushed or at leas had new fluid and a filter than that will definelty cause premature failure becuase the fluid looses it's ablity to disappate heat and lubricate like it's sppose to do. Also if you ever have black transmission fluid don't drain it and change it because most of the time there are clutch particles in the fluid and draining it can literally loose a gear in the transmission.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you end up having to have the transmission pulled you might be better off putting a used 4 speed automatic in. Just my opinion but I would never take anything to AAMCO. Most towns have an independently owned transmission shop, they tend to be much more honest. Do research and see who others have used in your area.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took apart the tv cable and put it back together, and it looked like it was adjusted the same way before. It now goes into 2nd earlier, but still not like before. Passing gear still slips, and my gas pedal is harder now. I don't know what else I can do at home, so I may have to get it looked at by a shop.
Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It also kinda sounds like the governor is bad on the tranmission but at the same time i don't think it is the problem.
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Horizontally installed motor,typically called a front wheel drive, but can allso found in rear wheel drive vehicles.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

James Bond 007

8868 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Keep in mind,the dealer is usually double and some times tripple the cost... a small tranney shop shouldn't have any problem installing a new tranny. Sound to me like second gear is worn out....Try checking your tranney fluid level first.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nick8434:

From what im hearing and as everyone else has said the transmission should definetly be rebuilt or what i would do is get a 4t65e transmission becuase there alot stronger have an overdrive witch means you'll get better gas milege and be at less rpm. Also the transmission bolts right up to the engine as well so its not a problem to install either. Bottom line would be to either get the 4t65e or get the 125c rebuilt.

NO. Without an OBD2 ECM to control it, a 4T65e is useless in a stock Fiero.

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Why would you even say that to a young confused new Fiero owner... LOL You been hacked?

Well, don't assume that a Corvette shop is going to know much about a Fiero. A lot of mechanics won't work on Fieros, complaining about the construction of the car, but it is really because they don't know what they are doing.

If they hesitate at all, take it to somebody who really likes the car.

THIS!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talk to your family's mechanic, if you have one and find out who they recommend to check this issue out. The drivetrain is standard GM FWD and any good shop will be able to diagnosis an fix it, or put in a used tranny. I wouldn't take it to a tranny shop, unless you plan on spending $1000-$2000.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how far are you from jersy? theres a shop you could trust there... id not try to drive it there tho...

if you were with the local club, hitup someone from the club and ask them to help you diagnose it, someone might even have a spare trans and be willing to help swap it out... the local clubs can be amazing help sometimes.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" Passing gear still slips, and my gas pedal is harder now" if the Gas pedal is harder to push to the floor, after YOU "adjusted it", You Definitely DO NOT have the TV cable adjusted right ! Running it like that WILL "Blow" your Transmission ! take it to someone who Does Know what they are doing. then after listening to what they "SAY", report back here to see if it is BS or not.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
Keep in mind, These 125 Transmissions are only worth (at the most), In Good cond, $75-100. so don't let someone talk you into something !
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to readjust the cable. As it is now, it is as far in as it will go, and did not ratchet back when I pressed the gas pedal down all the way. Did I do that correctly?
jimmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmoSend a Private Message to jimmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could just be a sticky plunger in the valve body. A cheap way to diagnose that is to get some "TVF" - "Trans Valve Fix" made by "blaster". I know its sounds hokey to pour an additive in but if its just a plunger it will unstick it. If it has no effect on the trans then it probably is a band or clutch. The car shouldnt be driven in its current state so you have nothin to lose. It only cost a few bucks and has gotten me a couple more years out of an old trans in a grand am once.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock