Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  NEED TRANSMISSION HELP!!! PLEASE!!! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
NEED TRANSMISSION HELP!!! PLEASE!!! by huracan2015
Started on: 04-13-2014 09:29 PM
Replies: 60 (976 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-28-2014 11:47 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you Actually READ the instructions, I'm pretty Sure it says " DON'T re adjust by pressing the Gas pedal to the floor !" you set the adjustment all the way too tight, then just Pull the Throttle Open all the way BY HAND, with the Throttle LEVER. that's it, it's done.
IP: Logged
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

If you Actually READ the instructions, I'm pretty Sure it says " DON'T re adjust by pressing the Gas pedal to the floor !" you set the adjustment all the way too tight, then just Pull the Throttle Open all the way BY HAND, with the Throttle LEVER. that's it, it's done.

I tried it both ways, and the cable is in as far as it goes.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Ok, so I realized I didn't adjust the TV Cable properly. After 3 hours, I finally got it into the RESET position. Here's what it looks like. Now I can move the throttle thing by hand, as far as it will go, correct?

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 04-16-2014).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, and it should ratchet out and you're done.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Yup, and it should ratchet out and you're done.

Just tried it, and it doesn't budge. And I can't even move it to WOT because the cable is too tight. Does that mean it's broken?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pressing down on the gas pedal to adjust is NOT the way to do it.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pressing down on the gas pedal to adjust is NOT the way to do it.

I didn't do that. I'm turning it by hand
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I'm now trying to do it manually, one click at a time, until in can turn it all the way without too much force.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I think I got it! i'll have to test it some more later, but going down my street and back, it feels a lot better!
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Anyone recommend a stall speed test?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Nothing I've done has fixed the passing gear. When I try to use it my car will fell like its in neutral and will just keep revving. So is that more of a major problem?
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

Nothing I've done has fixed the passing gear. When I try to use it my car will fell like its in neutral and will just keep revving. So is that more of a major problem?

More than you can fix poking at it with a screw driver from the outside... yes. Find a reputable transmission shop or a used working replacement yet?
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

More than you can fix poking at it with a screw driver from the outside... yes. Find a reputable transmission shop or a used working replacement yet?

I've been selling off my Hot Wheels collection to get my car painted so once I get some more money I'll take it somewhere in case they charge for an inspection.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they DO charge for a "Diagnosis", you are in the "WRONG Place". Call before you go.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have access to a garage, and know how to operate hand tools, you could replace the transmission yourself... It isn't that hard really. Its a lot of fun, and its a learning experience. Your car will be down longer, it only took me 1 weekend to pull my cradle and replace my transmission, but for a new beginner, you could probably do it in like 2 weeks. Check my build thread and look at how easy it is.

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT 3800sc
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try replacing the transmisison fluid.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If they DO charge for a "Diagnosis", you are in the "WRONG Place". Call before you go.

Shrug... it depends on how much time the shop has wasted on flakey customers in the past. In my mind, if you ask for a diagnosis and it takes the shop's time, there should be a charge, but if you decide to have the shop fix it, it should be waived. If they are going to charge you $100 irregardless if they fix it... definitely go somewhere else.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To ME, Giving an "Estimate" for the" cost of repair"s is "a cost of doing business". For a customer to walk in and say, "what will it cost to fix my car for this specific repair", Should be Free. for someone To go in and ask " Can you figure out what's wrong with my car ". they haven't got a clue what it could be, and it's not "Obvious" to the shop owner ( Electrical for example) should be charged for.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do realize that is exactly what I said?
fiero2kewl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2kewlSend a Private Message to fiero2kewlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like the clutches are burned up... I would get a transaxle filter kit and tanny fluids.... 10mm socket and take the pan off it is easy. Once the pan is off look in the pan and see how much particles are in there... it will be like wet sand/dust if theres a lot its done and look at filter cause the particles will clog it and that reduces fluid flow which in turn reduces pressure. I hope it is ok cause it will cost a pretty penny to get it repaired if youre not capable/knowledgable enough to do it yourself.... shops are expensive period no matter who you goto. Wish you were closer I would help ya getter going again.... I have always ran fast in all my fieros especially my 88GT... at 112mph the light doors pop up 8) keep us posted and goodluck!

[This message has been edited by fiero2kewl (edited 04-28-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what you can do.
Check to see that the TV cable is not broken. You should have two cables on the throttle body arm. The TV cable is on the bottom. Pull on it and see if there is resistance. If it is broken it is easily replaced and adjusted. You could also do a trans fluid and filter change but there is a small chance that it might help.
If the trans is shot, look on eBay for a rebuilt GM TH-125H transmission. The labor to change the box should only be a few hundred bucks. If you go with a junkyard unit a transmission that old may not be much better than what you now have.
Remember you are driving a 26 year old vehicle that was not designed to last forever. When you drive a vehicle that old, problems and frequent repairs will occur and should be expected. Many times on this forum we see comments like my
!{+_)(*&^$# Fiero sucks. I ask these people what do you expect from a car that old? Most cars that old were sent to the junkyard long ago.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave