'88GT shock selection? by notaguru
Started on: 04-12-2014 01:05 PM
Replies: 10 (192 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-14-2014 06:57 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car spent most of its life just sitting in the sun, undriven. I'm recovering it...

One rear shock is leaky, and while I'm under the rear end I plan to install all urethane bushings. That's not because of performance needs but the original rubber bushings are pretty rotten. Would a simple pair of Monroe shocks be ok, or are more exotic shocks worth the extra money?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a strut for every taste so there is no right or wrong one, just one that suits your personal preference. Monroe and Gabriel make struts that seem best suited for stock spring rates according to other threads on this subject. If you want a little stiffer damping, then KYB is probably your next best choice. Lastly, for even more money you can buy Koni struts that will give you the harshest damping. There are people from all camps on this subject with some having bought Koni's and returned them because they were too rough, and others that bought Gabriels and felt they provided too much of a floaty feel.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alot of people on here have complained about the longevity of Monroe shocks recently. I think KYB's offer the best bang for your buck as far as sportier shocks go.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best rear strut is stock G.M. Delco !!superior to Monroe & Gabriel,, the small extra cost is worth it
Plus the Delco struts are very long life ,,watch for a sale
the 2nd level Monroe & Gabriel are great for the front,,buy them on sale
Im running the cheapest monroe,s(I was curious) on the front they just do the job,, one side was better than the other the first 500 miles,, seem to be equaling out now
you do not need the expensive shocks unless you race
rock auto occassionally has the Delco at a good price,got mine on a close out
the delco struts are excellent
the stock fiero strut springs are to stiff,but give good handeling in the rear,you need a tight rear,ha,ha
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding information (as usual here...)

Thanks!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put Monroe Sensatracs on mine, with approximately 25% stiffer springs. I'm quite pleased with how it rides and handles.
One of my rear struts was DOA. Had a bind in one direction. Otherwise, no complaints.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's enough for me!
I just ordered Monroe Sensamatic struts and shocks from Rock Auto.

Cost including shipping and 5% online coupon: $122
Rebate from Monroe: $60 (wow!)
TOTAL COST FOR ALL FOUR CORNERS: $62
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

That's enough for me!

WOW, what a deal.
At less than $16.00 per shock that mighty hard to beat!

I hope you enjoy the ride the new shocks will give you.

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not bad, but...

Originally posted by Patrick:

I bought a set of Sensa-Tracs (two struts and two shocks) a few months ago for my '88 Formula during one of their sales events (discussed HERE).

Price after (cash) rebate... $40

No, not each... for all four of them!
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thoroughly enjoy my Konis on my Formula, felt like a totally different car compared to stock delcos
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My koni's are adjustable; the front shocks have 3 settings and the rear struts have 10. I have them all set on max. soft and i love it; rides like a sedan . As a daily driver, it was worth the extra bucks. Mine are koni orange but i think these aren't made anymore. Make sure you're sitting down when you price the konis - they are very expensive (last i saw about $1000 for the complete set).

... I plan to install all urethane bushings. That's not because of performance needs but the original rubber bushings are pretty rotten.

You should be aware that the urethane will ride rougher than the stock rubber bushings (regardless of the shocks / struts you use) and start to squeek over time. You can probably still get rubber at any parts supplier (or fiero store) if you want it.

Here in "hell-A", the hard part was getting a good alignment after the stuff is installed.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-14-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock