Gas pedal broken again! by pgold
Started on: 04-11-2014 10:27 PM
Replies: 17 (746 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-16-2014 10:05 AM
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so this is the second Fiero that i got that has a broken gas pedal!
As you know everything made of plastic on these cars break. They split right at the the connecting point. I thought about fabricating one out of aluminum or steel that won't break but i really don't want to go through extremes to fix it. Does anyone know where to get a new pedal? I tried the fiero store with no luck. Are there any aftermarket ones made of metal out there? My friend with a Fiero also has the same problem. we went to a wrecking yard this week to get one out of the only car in vegas and the damn pedal was broke in that one to.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pedal part is common to many GM cars, even trucks.
For new, Try http://www.dormanproducts.com/ then order thru many parts store.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you ever need Fiero parts in Las Vegas..

Go to this address on a weekday in the late afternoon, there is usually someone there around that time.

5340 E Alto St.
Las Vegas Nv, 89156

There is dozens of Fiero's there, and parts are almost always available for sale.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually it is Alto Ave.
And not just weekdays just about everyday some one is there.
Once it gets hot out we get there later and later.
We were the largest Fiero yard in the world at one point but we have been down sizing lately.

Link in my sig.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info. I will go check out the fiero yard. I have never been there but i probably be like a kid in a candy store once I'm there.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should be pretty easy to fabricate a metal one. Id have to look at one to see whats needed. Off the top of my head without any idea how one looks, a piece of heavy aluminum plate and a hinge should be almost there. I had one car, dont even remember what it was that didnt have a pedal at all. It had like 3/8" metal bar bent to shape and pivoted in a bracket. The part that your foot rested on was just a roller about an inch in diameter and a few inches wide, and it was mounted to the end of that bar. Throttle cable/linkage was on the other end of it. Might have been my Mercedes SL.

Look online at places like Summit or Jegs, or even a race car specialty shop.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 04-12-2014).]

pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im really thinking about doing a nice hand fabricated billet aluminum one . I can copy the design of the original part but give it a nice billet race look. Maybe even have it router cut by machine. I may even have them cut out parts to do maybe 10 pedals or so since i have 2 fieros and some friends that may want them as well.

[This message has been edited by pgold (edited 04-12-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgold:

Im really thinking about doing a nice hand fabricated billet aluminum one . I can copy the design of the original part but give it a nice billet race look. Maybe even have it router cut by machine. I may even have them cut out parts to do maybe 10 pedals or so since i have 2 fieros and some friends that may want them as well.

You can always make one that looks like a foot, toes and all, they sell those online for those ricer guys but I am sure they will work on a Fiero. I can cut one in any shape you want with my plasma cutter, out of any type of electrically conductible metal. hell I wouldn't even charge you but for material and postage. it wouldn't take me 2 mins to cut it.

but back to the plastic ones braking, I have only ever had one brake, gas pedal, you do know the entire Fiero body is plastic and those last decades. plastic, depending on the type can be almost as strong as steel, think about the tiles on the space shuttle. you may have had someone get a water bottle stuck under the pedal and just kept pushing until they broke it, you know those steel water bottles. but as a rule they last almost forever unless broken by someone out of shear brute force. and yes who ever said they are all just about the same through the entire GM line was right, when you go to the bone yard ask them what will work, they have a substitution book, well list on their computers now that will give you every pedal that will fit the Fiero without any modification.

Actually I have a spare one in my parts car 84 out back if you just want a factory one. but for that you will have to wait for the snow to melt, there is still 2' of snow out there surrounding that car.

Not to mention, Auto zone sells them. And I'm sure every other parts store sells universal replacements,.

http://www.autozone.com/aut...s-Universal/_/N-259d

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 04-13-2014).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of the over 160 Fieros we have gone through and the over 150 members we have/had in town I have yet to ever see a broken gas pedal.
How are you breaking gas pedals?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ave one of those 'feet' in chrome setting on a shelf. It mounts on an existing pedal though, no hinge or bracket. Free except shipping.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
Out of the over 160 Fieros we have gone through and the over 150 members we have/had in town I have yet to ever see a broken gas pedal.

OE pedals can break over time just from spring load.
If you look, many are close to breaking.
watch the pin and clip on left side of pedal. Now squish spring to pedal front. See them move?
The whole clip should be on pedal but plastic hole now oval shaped from spring load because Left side of Spring pushes on plastic next to hole in plastic. (Right side moves too but much less obvious most times.)
This example one I have only a little plastic left before it breaks. (Thanks Macarchie for this example. Donations of old, even "dead," parts are handy.)

(I did some scratches to remove the clip.)

A view from the back.

Can you fix old pedals? Maybe but you're taking chances that many don't need the headaches later if your DIY fix causes a wreck.

I did look at Dorman... nothing. I did find 20760 but said won't work.
Did quick search # on back... 10023366... nothing.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I ave one of those 'feet' in chrome setting on a shelf. It mounts on an existing pedal though, no hinge or bracket. Free except shipping.

yup... Most aftermarket ones are like that.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-09-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why you never use wet lube on parts exposed to dirt.

(I found this later and I thought people should know.)

Dirt will accelerate grinding the hole in plastic and the hard spring cut into the steel pin. To make the problem worse, someone used wet lube that traps even more dirt.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-09-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why cant you epoxy and rivet a metal plate on the plastic pedal at both sides ? Then drill them for the shaft to go thru...even larger and put a brass door pin bushing in them...?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Why cant you epoxy and rivet a metal plate on the plastic pedal at both sides ? Then drill them for the shaft to go thru...even larger and put a brass door pin bushing in them...?

Glue/epoxy won't stick to polypropylene. (The PP below the part number in images above. GM is good as labeling plastic parts as to what kind of plastic.)
Hinge bushings are likely too big.

Polypropylene is easy to weld but doing this on the gas pedal is a lot harder than many Internet directions would say because the spring puts a lot of load on the weld itself. This means any defect and the weld would break likely soon.
pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Given time and many more miles and i think many of you will end up with a broken pedal. Nothing last forever and there is a lot of stress on that little pedel.
Im not really into the whole little foot thing I'm looking for more of a standard shaped pedal with a billet look. Thanks for all the advice.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently found a 2nd broken pedal on my 88 GT that was broken from prior owner. If I recall, got the replacement from fierostore. But they don't carry them anymore? I looked at the replacement I had installed, and it cracked where the metal foot slips through. I am not rough on my car either. Just a very soft plastic. :/
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell, I took a torch and bent my pedal and I still don't have problems, that was like 8 years ago. (To fit a chrome one)
He has access to more pedals then he could ever use right here in town. no need for after market.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgold:
Given time and many more miles and i think many of you will end up with a broken pedal. Nothing last forever and there is a lot of stress on that little pedel.

Maybe...
Mine is worn but not as bad as example images above. Car has ~220,000 miles.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock