Accelerator - to - cable photo? by notaguru
Started on: 04-11-2014 07:43 PM
Replies: 11 (315 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 12-20-2020 12:00 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to begin the miserable task of fixing the slop in my throttle control system. As is, the pedal must move a full inch before the pulley begins to rotate, but it WILL go to full throttle.

Before I get in there, I'd like to prepare.

Assume the cable is stretched, but is in ok condition otherwise. Can I take up the slack by crimping a brass spacer onto the cable between the stop and the arm? To plan, I need to see what it looks like. Does anyone have a photo of the mechanical connection of the cable to the steel arm, in the tunnel?

By tying the throttle body pulley in the full open position, I should have plenty of slack - right?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 04-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since there is not much force exerted on the cable, why would it stretch?
Look elsewhere for the cause of your problem.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-11-2014).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Since there is not much force exerted on the cable, why would it sstretch?
Look elsewhere for the cause of your problem.

Several people here have reported stretched throttle cables.

My cable is set up properly at the engine end. The only way I can explain the dead space in pedal movement is stretch, but I really WELCOME other suggestions!!
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a few pics of each end of the cable installed?
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

Can you post a few pics of each end of the cable installed?

No pics of mine, sorry.

At the throttle body, the installation is correct. The cable goes around the black plastic pulley, then the end fitting goes over the pin - locked in place.

At the pedal end, I don't know. Haven't torn it up yet - waiting for a reprieve. But I suspect that it's just a cable through a plastic-lined hole at the end of the arm that goes to the pedal, with a ball or ?? swaged onto the end. If so, I want to crimp a brass fitting into the space between that lined hole and the ball (if there is one). That's why I need a photo of the arm + cable at the pedal end.

It occurs to me that *IF* there's a plastic fitting in the arm, and it has been damaged, the symptoms would be correct.
pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just removed a cable from the gas pedal 2 days ago at a wrecking yard and there is a plastic connecting bushing that holds the cable in place on the metal arm of the gas pedal. Is you cable really loose? If so this bushing may have cracked and broke off or slid over the cable itself. It is located in a real tough to get to place and you can't see it when removing it. When you unbolt the accelerator pedal you have to reach in and feel for the cable. Check to see if it is still in tack and not broken. It may still work if broken but could be the cause of all the slack. You may have to remove the cable from the throttle body to give it slack to remove the gas pedal.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent information, and you may have identified the problem.

If I disconnect the cable at the throttle body, and unbolt the pedal mounting plate, can I pull that arm out the side of the tunnel with the cable attached?

THANKS, PGOLD
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My throttle cable came off the pedal. How do i get it back on?
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the 2 screws holding the pedal to the front wall.
Use long skinny fingers or a bent wire and go fishing up, over and down into the center of the metal center console area.
Pull the cable up and over so you can see it.
Attach it to the end of the pedal
Reattach the pedal to the front wall.

Really tight area, not a lot of fun. So glad I no longer need a throttle cable.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2020 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:
Several people here have reported stretched throttle cables.

My cable is set up properly at the engine end. The only way I can explain the dead space in pedal movement is stretch, but I really WELCOME other suggestions!!
Most claim that has no clue what is wrong.
Worse, many of them also lube the cable and pedal w/ "oil" or worse making more problems.

Example:
Large black plastic "bearing box" in 2nd drawing above is a big problem and "wears out" and pedal rod moves before pulling the cable.
Pedal itself wears out and often does similar before pulling the cable. see Gas pedal broken again! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132523.html

The plastic "Bearing Box" may seem large but only have 2 small strips touching the pedal rod. Once gone the rod will move a lot even grinding metal parts for uneven loads.

Big feet and/or shoe design (and some handicap mods) can add to these examples as can put more loads at top of pedal making pedal to tip more before pulling the cable.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. i managed to get the cable out.
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock