Front End Alignment by fiero5150
Started on: 04-11-2014 03:12 PM
Replies: 8 (408 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 04-11-2014 09:08 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had the two rear (KYB) struts installed on my stock 88 GT. As part of the installation, the shop did a 4 wheel alignment. The front end is original and no know damage. After the alignment was completed, the technician stated that the adjustment was made all the way to its limit and that in the future they would have to drill a hole in the arm to give it a little more adjustment room. Has anyone heard of this procedure to correct camber problems? Anyway, after leaving the shop, I noticed the car pulling to the right. Prior to having it aligned, it tracked straight without pulling right or left.

What is recommended to bring the alignment into correct settings? Is there a front camber kit for these cars? Thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something doesn't sound right.
There is plenty of adjustment room on a stock 88 front suspension to get to the stock alignment settings.
He said drill the arm? Upper arm?
Is that to adjust the ball joint?
All the adjustment is done at the pivot rod to frame with the 2 bolts.
Better have someone else look at it.
Especially if it's not tracking strait.
Not the first guy to have this problem with an unqualified shop.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 fieros are a unique animal when it comes to alignments... I bet that over half of the shops that work on them do it wrong the first time, and perhaps get it right the second time. If you drive in to a shop and they treat you like just another customer....drive back out.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe bad bushing and/or ball joints.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got in an argument with a nut today who said it was a Toyota, I almost took his head off. he said he sold them when they came out and they are Toyotas and Toyota engines and he was told that what they were.

WTF is wrong with people?

I couldn't get to the car, to much snow still around it, but he insisted it was a Toyota. really with this much disinformation about cars and internet availability WTF is wrong with people? I couldn't find my manual in the shop, found it after he left. But if you take that as how much people know about our little cars and then see the people who work on them know even less it just pisses me off.

gona start a thread about them in OT because it really needs to be out there, people who are so misinformed about cars shouldn't sell them, work on them or anything else.

there are many good thread in the cave about how to align the cars look at them and grab a wrench and do it yourself. never let a mechanic work on your car who doesn't know what he is doing and that sounds like what you ran into at your alignment shop.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Nick8434

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nick8434Send a Private Message to Nick8434Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you post a picture of the alignment specs before and after readings if you have them. When an alignment is done the numbers can be in spec but if roadcrown is off then the vehicle can still pull and roadcrown is just the road and how most roads are designed for water to drain down. A vehicle pulls to most postive camber and a vehicle pulls to the least positive caster. Hopefully that made a little sense. If you could post the picture I can tell you if your fiero is in roadcrown specs and if not then your vechicle can still be adjusted a little bit and they should do it for free because it's there fault.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nick8434:

Could you post a picture of the alignment specs before and after readings if you have them. When an alignment is done the numbers can be in spec but if roadcrown is off then the vehicle can still pull and roadcrown is just the road and how most roads are designed for water to drain down. A vehicle pulls to most postive camber and a vehicle pulls to the least positive caster. Hopefully that made a little sense. If you could post the picture I can tell you if your fiero is in roadcrown specs and if not then your vechicle can still be adjusted a little bit and they should do it for free because it's there fault.

Ayup about the road crown, when I was at GM the Oldsmobile's we built had a different spring on the drivers side than the passenger side and when I asked about it they said it was because of the crown on the road.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ayup about the road crown, when I was at GM the Oldsmobile's we built had a different spring on the drivers side than the passenger side and when I asked about it they said it was because of the crown on the road.

Steve

More likely due to the amount of weight on that side of the car......
Springs control ride height.
Methinks you were informed by a MORON.
Lots of that going around these days...

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

I just got in an argument with a nut today who said it was a Toyota, I almost took his head off. he said he sold them when they came out and they are Toyotas and Toyota engines and he was told that what they were.

WTF is wrong with people?

I couldn't get to the car, to much snow still around it, but he insisted it was a Toyota. really with this much disinformation about cars and internet availability WTF is wrong with people? I couldn't find my manual in the shop, found it after he left. But if you take that as how much people know about our little cars and then see the people who work on them know even less it just pisses me off.

gona start a thread about them in OT because it really needs to be out there, people who are so misinformed about cars shouldn't sell them, work on them or anything else.

there are many good thread in the cave about how to align the cars look at them and grab a wrench and do it yourself. never let a mechanic work on your car who doesn't know what he is doing and that sounds like what you ran into at your alignment shop.

Steve

He's wrong, it's actually a Mazda.

Just kidding, some people are trolls even when not online!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: