Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Air conditioner decisions - please help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Air conditioner decisions - please help! by notaguru
Started on: 04-11-2014 01:20 AM
Replies: 7 (219 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 04-11-2014 09:11 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This '88GT has only 40k miles, but spent most of its life stored in the sun - I'm reviving it. It's now running, passed smog, and the interior is finished. But among other remaining problems, the A/C lost its charge.

Temps are rising. My choices are:

1. Pay $$$$$ for an R12 recharge in the U.S.
2. Pay $ for an R12 recharge 25 miles away, in Mexico.
3. Convert to R134a.
4. Use one of the supposed R12 replacements, like Freeze12, HotShot.

OR ANOTHER SOLUTION???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
134 - it works - convert
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

134 - it works - convert

Ditto, did mine and works great.
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Third vote on the 134. Conversion is relatively easy and, though this might be placebo effect, actually seems to blow cooler, IMO.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the switch also. Just make sure the shop that does it inspects the whole system and checks for and fixes any leaks or other probems. Otherwise your throwing your money away.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a leak in the current system. You can recharge it with R12, but it will leak out. You will need to spend money and fix it right.... even if you still want to keep R12. (I am guessing your compressor is leaking).
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto, ya got a leak, whatever you do is money wasted until you fix all the seals.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I converted four Mera a/c's to R139 and have had no issues with several years run time. Two are stock Fiero compressors and two are from 3800 motors.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock