Restoration of my 87 GT Stage ZERO by Inferno
Started on: 04-10-2014 10:28 PM
Replies: 25 (840 views)
Last post by: Inferno on 09-07-2014 01:00 PM
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Restoring my 1987 Fiero GT. Since I was unable to buy a new one way back in 87, I am going to build myself a new one.

I am only added performance parts where I feel I will need them. I will be in the end installing a 3.4 DOHC with maybe boost and juice.

End Goal is to have it completed for its 30th Anniversary

Stage 0 (Completed)
Purchase as many new parts as I need to get started on the project

Stage 1 (2014)
Start with a removal of body panels to repair any metal damages.
Remove all Brakes, Suspension and Steering components, replacing with new parts and cleaning and restoring old parts that will not be replaced.
Replacing all body panels with new fasteners.

Stage 2 (2015)
Restore and upgrade interior

Stage 3 (2016/2017)
Upgrade of Engine and Transmission
Maybe adding a little boost and juice

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your off to a good start. All my parts are stacking up like yours.The good weather is here time to get to work
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just now waiting on the parts from Rodney and my Eibach Springs.

This weekend I will put the car up on stands and start taking apart the front end.

Kind of cool having all brand new parts to put on the car to make it a full restoration.

Doing it right the first time is important to me. Start from the ground up.
PsychoPimpKiller

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Inferno:

What are these wheels from? They look pretty nice.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PsychoPimpKiller:

What are these wheels from? They look pretty nice.

I would guess neon, maybe srt4 wheels.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those seats.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes both the wheels and the seats are from an SRT4. The seats are listed as Viper Seats. They are very supportive.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I'll be watching your build.

Nolan
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Just wanted to add that I love my 3.4 DOHC

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-26-2014).]

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put the car up on Jacks today

Pulled the wheels to see what I will be dealing with.

Grabbed the new Calipers. Brake cleaned them, a little sanding and a couple of coats of Primer. NO They are not going to be YELLOW, that is the zinc chromium primer.

So I took release all to all of the front end bolts. Not too rusty under there. But I will be replacing all of the bolts with new ones anyway.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Inferno

423 posts
Member since Nov 2003
Todays update.
Two coats of RED. I will let dry for 24 hours, light sand and then do the other side.
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to go infurno! Been doing the same for a few years now. PFF is a great place! Keep us all up to date, love to see the builds here. Have Fun!
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I figure I will add my build to this page. I am sure I will get a bit of Positive feedback here.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to watching your build.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I look forward to showing the build. It has been a long time coming.

So the Calipers are almost completed. I am thinking they need something a little more then just red.

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So tempted. Got an offer to buy a Salvage Title 05 GP GXP w/5.3L V8 for only $1200. hmmm I will have to wait to see.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All in the details.
180 grit dremel paddle wheel
220 grit sand paper
320 Grit sand paper
then I will go to
400 grit
800 grit wet
1000 grit wet
1500 grit wet
2000 grit wet
then jewellers polish to make then look like a mirror.

In these pics it is only up to 320 grit dry.

Just a shot to show a bunch of the front end apart.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just some shots at how I am safely getting the springs removed.

I used the smallest ratchet straps I could buy that didn't look they were going to break apart.
With the spring fully extended and the ball joint still connected I threaded the strap from the lowest coil to the highest coil on both sides of the spring, I then pulled the strap through the ratchet but left some length to tighten, but did NOT engage the ratchet system yet.
Then I compressed the spring from the bottom with the handy little jack I have. Once the car lifted a bit I stopped jacking and started ratcheting. I ratcheted until it wouldn't anymore.
I then released the jack from under the control arm and the spring went loose.
I then removed the lower ball joint then the upper ball joint.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have not had a chance to work on the GT at all lately. But with it being a long weekend I hope to have the last of the suspension in the front out.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Final suspension parts have arrived.
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seem like you have a good plan!!! Go Go Go!
PFF
System Bot
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jason88.

Here is what I did yesterday afternoon.

And just some sexy shots of the engine.

I would say that this bushing was destroyed.

Shocks and Ball joints had seen their day. The shocks were factory ACDelco

Good thing I am replacing the brake hoses cause both are shot.

Something is missing here and I dont know what it is?

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally found my 87 Z24 hood. This is pretty much what I have wanted to do from the beginning.

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front end apart now.
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new to report on the progress.

I did go out and spark up the two digital Z24 clusters that I have. Noticed there was a blown bulb in the Tach of one so I replaced that and then what would you know I find another one, but no spare bulbs around.

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a little while since an update.
My engine arrives at the end of Sept. 3.4DOHC. And I have picked up a bunch of parts and tools.
Here are a few pics from over the summer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock