Rear radiator cap by Dotrenrew
Started on: 04-10-2014 02:10 PM
Replies: 13 (609 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 04-15-2014 07:51 PM
Dotrenrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any trick to remove the rear radiator cap on the 84 2.5 duke? Please forgive me if this is a silly question.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

Is there any trick to remove the rear radiator cap on the 84 2.5 duke?

Does your Fiero have a rear radiator?

The cap on the thermostat housing can sometimes be difficult to remove. In theory you just push down (to clear the lock tabs) and turn the cap counter-clockwise.

I've had to use a large pipe wrench on ones that hadn't been removed for years. You need to be careful though as you don't want to distort the face on the housing or bend the tabs on it.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used either a big pair of channel locks or a strap wrench on mine. Those caps do get tight.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the small oil filter wrench that I use for removing the Fiero oil filter. Perfect fit. Not the cup style, but the kind with a handle. The V6 hose clamp is situated such that it's like a scalpel and will slice a hand open as handily. Just put the clamp around the cap, turn it with one hand and press down with the other. It doesn't scar up the cap like a pipe wrench or large channel locks.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

I've used either a big pair of channel locks or a strap wrench on mine. Those caps do get tight.

Especially when the P/O silicones it on!!!

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have to buy a new cap, if this one was stuck on pretty hard.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody. I will try your ideas and see what I come up with.

I love this forum. Everyone is usually so very helpful. When I ask a simple question on the Audi forums, everyone goes out of their way to try and make me (and others) out to be stupid. Then they get all defensive when you call them out.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tap it with a screwdriver around the edge like you would tap a tight pickle jar lid with a spoon. It should break the seal. If you find pickles, time to flush the radiator.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace it with a new one, I put a thin wipe of grease on the new seal to help remove it next time. I also cleaned up the top of the housing for a good seal.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

Replace it with a new one, I put a thin wipe of grease on the new seal to help remove it next time.

That shouldn't be necessary with a new cap. I'm not sure about all brands, but it appears that the seal on the old (AC?) caps was firmly attached to the cap. In other words, when you turned the cap the rubber seal had no choice but to twist on the face of the thermostat housing. We all know how difficult it is to remove one of those damn caps if it's been on there for a long time. However, the seal on the new style caps spins independently from the cap. This makes it a helluva lot easier to remove one of these caps, as even if the rubber seal has bonded to the thermostat housing, the cap itself will still turn and release.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-10-2014).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Tap it with a screwdriver around the edge like you would tap a tight pickle jar lid with a spoon. It should break the seal. If you find pickles, time to flush the radiator.

LOL Well, they are the same color...

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've used either a big pair of channel locks on mine. Those caps do get tight.

Ayup that's what I use as well.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second the utility of channel locks for this purpose. I ended up buying a larger set of them on a road trip where I had some trouble with possible overheating issues. It turned out to be a bad sensor but I had the cap on and off at least five times.

Nelson
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have done the same for the 2.5 I had and also for the 3800. Big channel locks work nice.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock