Brake swap question. by Jimmy2s83
Started on: 04-10-2014 08:05 AM
Replies: 5 (254 views)
Last post by: Jimmy2s83 on 04-14-2014 07:40 AM
Jimmy2s83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have an 1987 SE with a DOHC 3.4 swapped in. Brakes are stock but I would like to upgrade them.
I know typically guys go with Grand am or all out with Corvette.

I happen to have an 1989 Firebird Formula parts car with the nice PBR 4 wheel disc brakes. Anyone ever swap these to a Fiero?
Or are there issues besides mounting them up. Obviously I would need to change bolt pattern or modify rotors to fit the fiero to get them on. Thats fine. I'm mainly wondering if anything else would need to be done. Changes to Master Cylinder/Brake booster?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jimmy2s83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any suggestions?
Resources?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you are in unexplored territory......
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the f-body calipers are identical to the seville ones used for the 11.25" upgrade, but the bleeder is upside down compared to the seville application.

As far a using the rotors, they might be able to be redrilled for 5x100, but the center bore could be incompatible. I'm not aware of any 5x4.75 hub assemblies that could be swapped over.

It would likely be easier to sell the PBR stuff and go with a proven setup.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't looked up the bore diameters of the calipers (front/rear), but most cars run a substancially smaller rear caliper than the front to obtain the vast majority of the braking bias front/rear. All fieros use the same (or nearly the same) caliper diameters front/rear and use the combination valve to adjust the bias.

So if you just swap on a set of calipers with larger front bore, smaller rear bore you will increase the braking in the front while reducing it in the rear, which isn't a good idea. Once you get past the caliper issues, then you need to look at the depth of the rotors... almost any depth will work in the front, but the rears are very tight. I have made a 2.10" deep rear rotor fit the rear of an 84-87, but it required some clearance work to do so. The C4 rotor that most use is about 1.97" deep.

As for the hubs, anything with the 4 3/4" bolt pattern has a larger rotor pilot than the Fiero, so you will need some concentric rings of the appropriate thickness.
Jimmy2s83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy2s83Send a Private Message to Jimmy2s83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I'll go with a typical uprgade like the grand am disc brakes. That was the setup on my 1985 SC 3800 Fiero.

Thanks for the tips guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock