3800SC rocker question by mkman
Started on: 04-09-2014 05:53 PM
Replies: 17 (641 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 04-11-2014 09:31 PM
mkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for opinions on high ratio rockers for my l67 3800sc engine swap. I read in another post that roller rockers were not as good as the stock rockers. I was looking at the Yella Terra 1.8 ratio roller rockers, or a set of stock rockers modified to 1.9 ratio. I am looking for some performance upgrades without doing a cam.

Does anyone have any feedback from either of these rocker sets?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkman:

I am looking for opinions on high ratio rockers for my l67 3800sc engine swap. I read in another post that roller rockers were not as good as the stock rockers. I was looking at the Yella Terra 1.8 ratio roller rockers, or a set of stock rockers modified to 1.9 ratio. I am looking for some performance upgrades without doing a cam.

Does anyone have any feedback from either of these rocker sets?

The modded 1.9 rockers are the best ones out there. Along with those you'll need, at the least, LS1 90# valve springs with modded retainers.
There is a very noticeable improvement in power. One of the best mods you can do for cheap.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what's it take to mod the stock rockers to a 1.9 ratio?
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

About $300 bucks.

http://shop.zzperformance.c...odified-Rockers.aspx
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a nicearticle and specs on the LS valve springs, I would definately check how close to coil bind on the stock springs you will be. Larry

http://members.shaw.ca/howto/vortec/vspring.htm

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-10-2014).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

The modded 1.9 rockers are the best ones out there. Along with those you'll need, at the least, LS1 90# valve springs with modded retainers.
There is a very noticeable improvement in power. One of the best mods you can do for cheap.

Where to u get the modded retainers and 90# valve springs ?

How bad does this kill off gas mileage ?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Where to u get the modded retainers and 90# valve springs ?

http://shop.zzperformance.c...pring-Retainers.aspx

http://shop.zzperformance.c...0-Valve-Springs.aspx

How bad does this kill off gas mileage ?

Depends on how much lead is in your Foot.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

ZZP is the only one who makes these. They are very popular and pop up for sale all the time if you want to save some money. Keep an eye out on the the Clubgp forum and others.

The rockers won't have an effect on gas mileage but your right foot will.
------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 04-10-2014).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for 1.9 rockers. U will notice the difference they make right off the back. Made a big difference on the top end..
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Another vote for 1.9 rockers. U will notice the difference they make right off the back. Made a big difference on the top end..

How about low end (less than 3500 rpm) and throttle response ? Just for daliy driving, not racing .......

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-10-2014).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would cost you quite a bit less to just pull the cam and have a shop grind a little more lift and duration into it. Also puts less stress on the cam and lifters. Larry
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

How about low end (less than 3500 rpm) and throttle response ? Just for daliy driving, not racing .......

I honestly dont remember the RPM range in which the rockers started making a difference. They r great for a DD..
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

It would cost you quite a bit less to just pull the cam and have a shop grind a little more lift and duration into it. Also puts less stress on the cam and lifters. Larry

I am not doing a cam because I don't want a "cammed" engine sound or idle. I am putting this engine into a replica lambo and that sound doesn't fit the car at all.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can make the cam do exactly what the rocker arms do, the sound would be identical as would the movement of the valves. All the rocker arm mod does is cause the cam to act like it has slightly more duration, overlap and lift. I think having a V-6 sound anything remotely like a Lambo sounds will be a streach. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-10-2014).]

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not doing a cam because I don't want a "cammed" engine sound or idle. I am putting this engine into a replica lambo and that sound doesn't fit the car at all.

3800 exhaust is bland at best. If you are really trying to get that kind of sound out of a 6cyl then maybe a VR6 swap or some kind of straight 6 swap.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 04-10-2014).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sound and 3800 Fiero is usually is something bad and raspy.
What you want is a Turbo (to change the sound not muffle it) and :

Made exclusively by Fierobsessed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_AC0m-xK4
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any dyno results? How much of a power difference are we talking?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Any dyno results? How much of a power difference are we talking?

No dyno #s but can tell u that I noticed it right off the bat on the butt dyno and it wasn't just in my head...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock