replacing duke motor with buick or chevy 2.5 by logical1
Started on: 04-09-2014 04:04 PM
Replies: 15 (330 views)
Last post by: logical1 on 04-12-2014 02:51 PM
logical1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing with either chevy celebirty or century and I was womder are those plastic gears for timing that the duke is rumored to have inside these 2 motora aswell? If so are they hard to swap? Im abput to purchase my new temporary motor while I wait for thw big swap and I was concerned about that. I want to put a new oil pump in used motor ( seeing as thats y mines blew) and I also wanted to replace the timing gear and belt or chain whichever it has.. while its already out n I just wanted some info on it. Tried to seacrch but didnt really find the level of detail that made me comfortable. Pics or suggestions would be nice. Please hold the motor swap comments this is the direction im going I just need intel. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read this...
http://www.fierosails.com/Engine.html

I believe they all had the fiber gear, but I have no data to back that up. It wasn't a Pontiac only thing.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All VIN R engines are Pontiac Dukes.

Only 91-92 engines use timing chains. Before you ask... No you can't just switch between setups.
Chain require a cam ground for clockwise rotation and other mods.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohhh ok. So ik assuming the process of removing the gears is the same as a chain excecpet there isnt space between the gears. Delicately remove top and bottom as 1 piece and insert 2 new together or am I wrong? Trying to figure best way to go about it all. And is the oil pump apart of this assembly?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think chang gears is easier, put them on one at a time with the marks lined up. I have seen aluminum after market gears to replace the fiber ones. Larry
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
91-92 version is a DIS engine but major changes for chain setup.
if you want this setup then use 91-92 VIN R engine. Even then need to check because some 91-92 cars may have old design.

if you have 86 and older... then forget it. little to nothing will work from 87-92 versions.
See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting.. my car is an 88 2.5 -5speed. Definitely curiousvabout the aluminum gears to replace the fiber 1s. Vanyone know about the oil pump setups? Also going to look into the 91v 92 just didnt bc want to get into wire hacking or ecm swaps. Ill read up hopefully its not a big deal
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just use gears setup...
Your balancer/oil pump unit are driven by crank gear and is next to go bad. When that happens, damage cause often means get a new engine.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like this: Aluminum gear set

While you have it apart have a cam shop grind a little zip into the cam, the one I use charges $60.00 for any grind you want. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-10-2014).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget, the cam gear is pressed on. It is not a "bolt" on change.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be worried about noise with metal gears
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I couldn't notice a difference in my '87 (convertible).

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Never bothered anyone the last 50 years before when almost all vehicles had gears and chains. Sht the racers used a gear to gear setup that held up quite well under several hundred HP at the track. As far as changing over the belt to gears and chain set up Why? a lot of the cars over the last few decades have used it with no problems as long as the people change the belt at the times recommended and the engines were not interference type.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I still need further explination on this oil pump situation. Kinda has me lost. Is there a pre pressed assembly that is available for purchase..? Im buying a junkyard motor and id like to have that done b4 I drop it in. Reason im so pressed is bc my last motor just blew bc of the oil pump dying. So id like to put a new 1 in.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gear presses onto the cam. A pre-assembled cam/retainer plate/gear won't save you much time, since in order to pull the cam you'll still have to pull the timing cover, valve cover, lifter cover, lifters, and pushrods, oil pump cover + oil pump driveshaft, etc.

That said, all of these are good things to do to a used engine before dropping it in.
logical1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for logical1Send a Private Message to logical1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well damn. That seems like.alot. Ill probley havento.check a walkthrough on it. I doubt it but maybe.there is a youtube video or something

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock