Starting Trouble '87 2m4 by BensFiero
Started on: 04-07-2014 04:29 PM
Replies: 2 (79 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 04-08-2014 08:48 PM
BensFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BensFieroSend a Private Message to BensFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lurked on this board for quite a while, finally making a post.
Brought my 87 4 banger out of storage to sell this spring, and I am having trouble with the starter.
It will consistently start when cold, no problems. However after the car warms up/gets driven for 15-20 minutes,
the next time i try to start it, it gives me fits. It will either start, and then immediately stall... or come close to starting, the engine will flip over but it wont start.
The only solution i've found is to simply let it sit for 20/30 minutes and it will start again just fine.
Only other issue i've noticed is when the car goes into closed loop, the idle is low, just a little above 500rpm.
I've been having this issue for the life of the car, trying to fix it up before selling it though.

ECM gave me no stored codes, although i've only had the car out for about a week.

Just hoping you guys can help give me a place to start troubleshooting! Cheers!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with temperature related ignition trouble the ICM is always suspect. Connectors may need some cleaning and checking too.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 2.5 uses DIS instead of a distributor and the ICM fails much less often on them.

Run the car and then turn it off. Take off the air filter and look down into the throttle body. Is the injector leaking/dribbling fuel down into the throttle body? If so your injector is the problem. You could try some injector cleaner and it might clear up the problem.

The leaking injector floods the intake manifold with too much fuel. After time the fuel evaporates and the engine starts. If a leaking injector is the problem, the problem would not manifest itself on a short shut down but would on a longer one. Longer for example being filling up the tank with gas. Shorter being just turning the engine off and then back on.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-08-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock