Fun weekend of Fiero repairs... by FieroCat
Started on: 04-06-2014 08:12 PM
Replies: 10 (280 views)
Last post by: FieroCat on 04-08-2014 11:45 AM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was an eventful weekend of working on my 86 Fiero GT, did its first oil change (while I've had it) and also made an attempt to repair the driver's side headlight lift motor. Oil change went well, unfortunately the headlight motor repair didn't. I used the rebuild kit that I ordered from Rodney Dickman, but I must have done something wrong in the process. After replacing the bumpers and re-assembling everything just right, the problem with the motor trying to actuate while the car was off only got worse! The motor felt even hotter than before the rebuild, and I unplugged the connector right away. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but going to research it out some more. Could be the limit switch?

Went on a drive after doing the oil change, and soon I heard a loud *POP* from the rear and a whooshing liquid noise from the sides and front of the car. I noticed the temperature gauge pegged to the high end and I pulled over and shut it off right away. Coolant was EVERYWHERE on the ground, inside the front hood and all over the underside of the car. After inspecting the engine, I found that the serpentine belt broke. Apparently this caused the water pump to fail and the coolant overflow tank boiled over.

I had it towed to my favorite repair shop which was nearby, hopefully the belt was the only thing that went wrong… boy it's been a fun weekend!

[This message has been edited by FieroCat (edited 04-08-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bummer, I hope its just the belt.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck because not knowing what it wrong with the car can drive you and your pocket crazy. Mine is broke too
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an issue on my pass Side headlight motor where it was clicking on and off even when down, I ended up exposing the limit switch and bending the arm just enough so the metal bar didnt have to push it that much to shut it off. See my post on "headlight issue pass side only".

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

krum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krumSend a Private Message to krumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what side is it? i might have a motor around
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
P.S. Rodney is absolutely amazing! This Saturday my clutch slave cylinder bracket broke and one of the bolts holding it on snapped off inside the bell housing. Rodney was a HUGE help on the phone and through PMs. Great person!

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately it did cause the radiator to rupture... going to drop some $$ on this one...
Needs new radiator, belt, thermostat and hoses.

It's the driver's side headlight motor. I watched the youtube videos on the rebuilding procedure and realized I may have missed a few essential steps, such as cleaning the armature and checking the brushes. Will open it up again, but if someone has a good driver's motor, I may be interested!
After I rebuilt it, the light was actually raising and lowering at a different time than the passenger one... first the passenger would lift, then after 5 seconds the driver's one would raise up. Could it have something to do with the relay?
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCat

270 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Lou and Blue, thanks for the recommendation, I actually just ordered one of Rodney's double-seal slave cylinders because I also have to replace the master and slave on mine soon! Lots of parts reaching the end of their lifespan on this car right now... at least I'll know these parts will be good for a while!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will second the thought about the limit switch being your headlight problem, and I will second the thought of Rodney being the best in the business. Awesome guy.

Jim
krum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for krumSend a Private Message to krumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my light did the same thing maybe a 3 sec delay all i did was change the switch on the dash but i will look for that motor tonight just in case
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may replace the dash switch also, if it appears to be the issue. I watched the youtube videos on rebuilding the motors and I probably should have cleaned the armature before re-assembling.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock