Front Emblem Replacement by Oolab1
Started on: 04-06-2014 07:39 PM
Replies: 5 (283 views)
Last post by: notwohorns on 04-06-2014 08:27 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Click Here to Email Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. Being a new member, I would just like to say it's great that I finally found this place. I'm 16 (well, almost 17 in mid-May), and just a few days before Christmas I finally got my mom to agree to allow me to take up my friend's dad on the offer he made me over the summer. He had just bought his 5th sports car (we think he's going through a mid-life crisis, but that's another story), and needed room in his driveway. To solve this problem, he offered to sell me his '85 Fiero (the V6 model, no less), which is in amazing condition. It has all the original factory parts, and almost everything runs perfectly. The only issues are that the e-brake doesn't work, but I'll just put it in the uphill gear when I park, the A/C is broken, but since the heat still works I can just crank down those windows in the summer, and there's a very slow oil drip out the back. The best part? Well, that was the price, because that's what made it the PERFECT first car. It was mine for a single payment of $230.00. No tax, no hassle, nothing. Just a check for $230 and he even drove it to my house for me. Plus I get to learn to drive a stick as my first car, and all the kids at school are already jealous and talking about it.

Anyways, the reason this is in the technical issues section is because I was trying to spruce up the exterior a little bit. Although the paint is still factory original and in great condition, there are lots of very very small cracks, some fading, and a few chips around the edges of the front hood. I managed to find a way to perfectly cover up the small crack patches by smearing white acryllic paint over the area, then going over it with some polishing compound (and I have to say it made the acryllic paint match the original perfectly). I put on some Nu Finish to protect it, and as I was going over the front I looked at the emblem and remembered that I should replace that, too, since the only thing left was the silver metal shield, without the inner emblem. I ordered the new one off fierostore.com, and it just arrived, but when I took it out I was confused. From what the other post on here said, you had to take off the fascia to replace the emblem, but the way the pins are put on the back of the new emblem, I don't see any way they could be permanently attached. Before I go ruining the front of the car, I was wondering if I could just pull out the old one and slip the new one in? Or am I totally wrong in thinking the old one even has to be taken out, and I should just glue/epoxy the new one on? Thanks in advance for any help, and for reading my long, somewhat off topic paragraphs...

The back of the new emblem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p...04-05%2023.00.42.jpg

The current emblem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r...04-01%2018.02.28.jpg

The whole car (that was before I cleaned it up. It's still not perfect but at least it's not covered in bird poop from that tree):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u...04-01%2018.01.39.jpg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

I ordered the new one off fierostore.com, and it just arrived, but when I took it out I was confused. From what the other post on here said, you had to take off the fascia to replace the emblem, but the way the pins are put on the back of the new emblem, I don't see any way they could be permanently attached.

One of those stamped out self-tapping nuts goes on the longer pin. On some styles of the Fiero nose (I forget which ones), you can actually reach under there without removing the nose.

Congrats on getting your first Fiero. You'll be spending a lot of time here.

(It would be best for variety of reasons if you used PIP to post your images in this forum.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-06-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Click Here to Email Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I've never heard of those self-threading nuts before but next weekend I'll head out to the store and try to find some. And thanks for that PIP thing. I thought that might be an awkward way to post an image but I'm working off my phone right now so I can't really download and install that until I get to my computer.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

I've never heard of those self-threading nuts before...

This is the style I'm referring to...

Should be one on the back of your old emblem.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Click Here to Email Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep a quick Google search had me figured out. Would I be able to just use the one that's already on the current emblem or should I get a new one?
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsClick Here to Email notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking for that type of badge for my 30th anniversary badge. I would like to buy it from you when your get it off. Please let me know. PM sent
Thanks
Bob

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 04-06-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock