Headlight motor adjustment? by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 04-05-2014 12:20 PM
Replies: 7 (507 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 04-05-2014 10:47 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little bit of a backstory.. When I purchased my 87 GT it only had a passenger side headlight motor, which worked. Altought I think my switch is going bad. It only goes MOST of the way up when you hit the button, will go up the rest if you hold the button. Also have to hold the button to get the headlights to lower all the way.

Anyways. I found a motor on E-Bay, and an actuator arm from a fellow member here on PFF.

NOW, when I hold the button to turn them on.... the driver side goes all the way up as it should, but my original driver side only goes up about 3/4 of the way and is not bottoming the lever arm out as it should.

So my question is... when one motor hits its limit does it kill power to both motors?

And also, is there any way to adjust this so both motors should stop at the same position? Even if its not full open. I guess I'm just not understanding why they are opening in such a manner, as they close at the same rate and almost bottom out at the exact same time.

Thanks guys.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you have more than one problem. The first one is a bad switch. Take it apart and watch how it works inside, and you can then bend the copper tabs to make contact as they should. After that, your motors may work differently...so problem #2 will be more clear. Usually with Gen 2 headlights, a rebuild is needed with the little clutch rollers.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The headlights are independent of one another and may go up and or down at different speeds. Having taken one of them out, did you get the triangular piece that goes on the motor arm replaced in the wrong position? That can be a cause of the mechanism not making full travel. It's always a good idea to manually run them all the way up and down after removing the motors, before putting the assembly back into the car.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anything cause binding then module will shut off the motor.

See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-05-2014).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna lean towards something maybe binding it up a little and hope I track something down. I had one out since I had to add it to the car new. BUT, the one I had out wasnt the one giving me fits. Its the one that was in the care prior. I'll go dig around and see what I can find. Thanks again guys.

~James
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Ok.. I feel like a dumbass now. But the front corner closest to the radiator was catching the overflow hose going to the radiator, therefore causing the load switch to kill the motor. Thanks again.

~James
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel too bad - others share your pain!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132246.html
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could also find binding issues by manually moving the motor knobs and feel for any resistance between full up and full down .

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock