Build thread: 84' SE 60's GT era inspired overhaul by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 04-04-2014 04:52 PM
Replies: 5 (190 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 04-05-2014 11:45 AM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to get a placeholder for my 84' SE project. The plan is to replace/refurbish every component to like new with the goal of good handling and great mileage. Goal is to create a clean car that would appear to be an optional appearance package Pontiac may have offered, reminiscent of the 60's era GT racer/Lamborghini's.

Still have some minor bugs to work out for now before I begin, see what I am working with engine wise, plan to do a compression test this weekend, also have an oil test kit that can be tested for metallic’s (paid for it to use on my Fiat, never used it might as well) Also need to line the coffers to a healthy tune.

Below is a list of what I intend to do over the next few years in order:

1. Custom SS exhaust system more for longevity and appearance. Rebuild TBI, work through methodically testing/replacing sensors after compression/health is verified. (This will be within the coming month)

2. Pull all suspension mounts/components, blast and coat. Replace every suspension/steering component with a mix of Rodney wares and, Eibach, Moog. Still debating Monroe's, Koni's or Gabriel. Replace with 15x7 steel wheels (silver) with chrome trim ring, Pontiac center caps (custom if I can't source a good fit), BF Goodrich radial T/A's (within the next 3-5 months)

3. Drop engine, blast/coat cradle, replace mounts with Rodney wares. Replace 3 speed with Isuzu M19 5 speed w/Rodney goodies, if determine prior, rebuild engine though I am told it’s a low mileage swap from recall in 93' (still need to determine if it's later 2.5) port match, sand/coat header/intake. May shoot for the 120HP mod if I can source parts; most likely will leave it stock with the exception of freshening & port matching. New oil pump, water pump, cam shaft gear set, new gaskets. Clean and paint engine, Replace radiator, sensors (though many will most likely have been replaced by this phase), refurbish A/C. (within the next 6-9 months)

4. Pull panels for prep and paint in high gloss black, replace any bodywork missing/broken/aged and powder coat silver the rear metal deck lid/vent components. Most of the major interior will have been addressed by this point since it's in good shape to begin with and I have acquired the parts beforehand. I plan to clean, polish, replace and repair all interior components to like new. Polish all glass to like new. (within 1 years to 1.5 years)

I want something to enjoy building, driving on my 100 mile daily commute and have something nice to leave to one of my kids. I know I will never recoup nor want to recoup my money. To me it's an expression of art, some paint, some sculpt, I build bikes and cars. Ultimately it's about the love of learning, reaping the rewards every time you're behind the wheel of a car you built yourself.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 04-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a M19 with everything I need for the swap included for $400 + shipping. So some of this project could be sped up as well rearranged slightly.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a plan,

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

sounds like a plan,

You're about 30 miles from me, I am in Murfreesboro.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your plan, I like the concept. I am keeping my 85 SE 2M4 stock but I am keeping the turbine wheels and plan on stripping the clear coat from the aluminum and giving the bare metal a high polish. The stock turbine wheels are lighter than the steel ones and it makes for easier steering and helps acceleration responsiveness. I wish I had the experience you do on rebuilding the suspension as I would like to replace all the bushings, etc, a shop would probably charge me a small fortune.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the boro is just up the road.I just went through all bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends on my 85, it will be a long time before I do any of the others that way..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
Northstar Rebuild

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay