Started on: 04-04-2014 08:18 AM
Replies: 16 (459 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 04-06-2014 10:15 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I've been gluing my sons console back together. The Gorilla Glue has worked great, and I had a good clean install until I was almost done. Unfortunately, I laid the console in a drip of Gorilla Glue when I was letting the final side dry. The spot is on the side that will be seen. The bottle says solvent free, and to scrap or sand it off. However, I think scraping or sanding would ruin the surface of the console. I tried some alcohol, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was reeeeeeeeally cold, could it chip off?
Thats a tough one.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

If it was reeeeeeeeally cold, could it chip off?
Thats a tough one.

Freezer?

Jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Freezer?

Jim

Just a thought, I'd be afraid anything harsh like acetone could remove color or damage the material.
If it had Armorall or Meguiars on it before it got the glue on it, it will for sure help too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-04-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
water... soak it for a long time in water, use hot water. I found GG will break down when exposed to water.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

water... soak it for a long time in water, use hot water. I found GG will break down when exposed to water.

Problem with this is, it will break down the parts I don't want to break down. I guess I could put a wet rag on the spot.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Problem with this is, it will break down the parts I don't want to break down. I guess I could put a wet rag on the spot.

Jim

Yup, just keep it wet.

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Build a little dam with some modeling clay around the spot and fill with water. Tin smiths used sand to build a dam around some solder joints to keep things neat and when finished they just blew the sand away, giving rise to the saying " Not worth a tinkers dam"
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I glued a travelers mug and ran it through the dishwasher.... the glue came off (held on the bottom pad).... so, that is where I am coming from....

Oh, and on shoes... didn't last that long either (exposed to water).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 04-04-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

Build a little dam with some modeling clay around the spot and fill with water. Tin smiths used sand to build a dam around some solder joints to keep things neat and when finished they just blew the sand away, giving rise to the saying " Not worth a tinkers dam"

Cool
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

Then it got shorten to "Not worth a damn" over time. Now we all know and GI-Joe said that knowing is half the battle.

[This message has been edited by racingfortheson (edited 04-05-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a question about gorilla glue. I need to glue my interior together too. However it says on the bottle to not use it with polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) and isn't that exactly what the vinyl panels are made of?

Thanks.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

I've got a question about gorilla glue. I need to glue my interior together too. However it says on the bottle to not use it with polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) and isn't that exactly what the vinyl panels are made of?

Thanks.

No. Vinyl is polyvinyl chloride or PVC....and the plastic underneath is usually ABS.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. So I guess gorilla glue is the way to go.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorilla glue is odd stuff. Water will help it set up, so wet the surfaces you are gluing. It expands a lot, so use less than the space you are filling, and use as many clamps as will fit. They will help keep the form you want when you are finished.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Gorilla glue is odd stuff. Water will help it set up, so wet the surfaces you are gluing. It expands a lot, so use less than the space you are filling, and use as many clamps as will fit. They will help keep the form you want when you are finished.

That is the toughest thing I have dealt with was keeping form. I could only do one side at a time, because I had to use so many clamps, and not much area to clamp. Then there were the indents the clamps made from squeezing for so long. Most of the indents have popped out over a 24 hour period, but there are still remnants of them. Hopefully over time, and some warmer temps, and they will hardly be noticeable.

Jim

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd recommend a can of aresol, upside down. So it freezes. It freeze it, and you can just run something over it to wipe it off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock